SamW

Need some advice on breeding set up

.Hi everyone,

i was was recently given two 4x2 and one 8x2 fish tanks. I have a 6x2 display tank in my house but am interested in using the other tanks for breeding in a room out the back of my house. I have a couple of questions regarding dividing the tanks and how it effects breeding. I am planning on using one of the 4x2's for a l397 colony but for the other 4x2 I wanted to divide it and have an albino bristlenose trio on one side and a common trio on the other side. I have heard that one of the trios will breed but not the other because of hormones released into the water? Is this true?

And if the 8x2 is dived into 3 parts for African breeding is it the same case?

Thanks in advance for anyone who has some advice!

sam

.Hi everyone,

i was was recently given two 4x2 and one 8x2 fish tanks. I have a 6x2 display tank in my house but am interested in using the other tanks for breeding in a room out the back of my house. I have a couple of questions regarding dividing the tanks and how it effects breeding. I am planning on using one of the 4x2's for a l397 colony but for the other 4x2 I wanted to divide it and have an albino bristlenose trio on one side and a common trio on the other side. I have heard that one of the trios will breed but not the other because of hormones released into the water? Is this true?

And if the 8x2 is dived into 3 parts for African breeding is it the same case?

Thanks in advance for anyone who has some advice!

sam

Growth inhibiting hormones are released with fish waste. In an environment with no water changes - and in extremely small tanks (think goldfish bowls); the hormones reduce the growth rate of fish. That is what is sounds like you are refering to. Dividing tanks will not prevent fish from breeding provided:

1/. There is enough room for the species

2/. Environmental conditions are right

3/. Water changes are carried out.

Regards