The Big Question: Reef or Planted

The Big Question: Reef or Planted  

20 members have voted

1. 1. The Big Question: Reef or Planted

• Reef
    • Planted
    • Neither
    • Keep the 3ft (N)

..So heres the deal guys. We have just moved into our own place and instead of just moving our current 3ft tank over from my parents we decided we should upgrade and go bigger! YEAH!

In the next few months were looking at getting a nice 5x2x2 and were just going to go planted and tansplant the 3ft into it once its all cycled and everything... But we had the thought of going marine with it and now were torn between the two.

We have always craved a marine tank and get lost staring into a nice reef. But on the other hand we want to from scratch, set up a good planted tank instead of hodgey bodge like we did with our current tank.

The questions are: Marine or Planted?

Pros and Cons of Marine vs. Planted?

We assume for a tank this big a sumps the best bet; If so how big/design, if not what do you recommend?

Apples or oranges, both are great.

Imo a reef tank will cost a lot more to setup and maintain, of course this depends on the coral type chosen. The chemistry is also a bit more in depth, then you have the issue with salt rusting things out if that maybe an issue for your house / aquarium stand, heat where the tank will be during summer if it gets too hot a chiller will be required vice versa for winter. They do look great but the work involved is quite large. this is just skimming at it also you really need to do a lot of reading before jumping the gun on a coral tank.

Planted can be considered more easy imo of course, you still have the chemistry but its not in such great depth, plants are able to handle better temp swings, less equipment required, freshwater wont rust out anything really. One thing I would say is if your going with a c02 injected system ditch the sump, they off gas too much c02 else built almost air tight which is not an easy task, a canister would be best, the plants will do a great job filtering the water also so theres no need to go over board.

Hope this helps some what.

I'd look at the budget for the project first. Dont skimp on the setup, whichever way you go, you dont want drama, and you dont want to have to buy tech twice!

Then I would think about what is going to keep you interested long term. Theres always something new with marine........ but then you can say the same about planted.

On a budget front planted would be much easier as is fairly obvious when you look at the complexity and tech in a reef. We have the Co2 gear for a planted and a decent light (albiet for a 3 foot). We love planted tanks and after thinking about it well have to leave marine until another day.

For our 3x2x2 for filtration we have a aqis 1200 II. But don't know what we should be looking at for filtration? Sump seems off the board. What would you guys recommend?

Could always go sump, and then you can one day switch over to marine? I'm using a 4ft sump for my 5ft, and everyone comments on how clear the water is, and very easy to change mechanical filtration, set up further things like automatic top offs, etc.

Are there sump designs out there that are good for both reef and planted? How bad is co2 off gassing? And is this avoidable by using fight kids in the tank. I have read that bean animal overflow is best for planted. And is also excellent for reef in a coast to coast Weir.

How much more expensive would sump be over suitable canisters/whatever?

Edit: it sneaky at work research seems together that its the surface allegation that poses the Co2 so set dry trickle filters aren't recommend. Same with a Weir (which in not a fan of anyways).

So I think a sump maybe workable of this thing are kept in mind.

Edited by Oromis
More information

It is doable, I have seen many sumps using c02. I just feel for the tank size your not at any major disadvantage using a canister, its big but not so big a sumps the only real option.

Bean is the best way to go though if your going for a sump, you will still get some off gassing though.

The main selling point for sump is that its easier down the track to change to marine..

Besides a Betts barracks its never done a sump before. So I don't know about sizing. The rest is easy enough. Sizing just seems to be a controversial factor

size is really up to you, the only thing to consider is percentage of water required to store in a power outage. I was running 4x 6x2x2 off one 3x2x2 sump with a drain so when the power went out the excess water just overflowed worked fine.

If you do plan to use the sump later for marine you should try to build it more like a marine sump to start with, consider sand beds, bubble traps, reactors, skimmer size /space etc, just my opinion none of it is really required for marine but it can make it easier depending what your aiming for.

Okay then. I'll see what I can with out. Any recommendations for size? The plan was to try and build the sump like marine. And at the end of the day the battles can just be cut out and moved where they need to be.

Well ideally for marine you want the highest volume of water you can get, so id suggest building the biggest sump you can afford / fit.

you will defiantly have to move the baffles around though when your ready.

Nope. That tanks 51 side and won't fit under the stand. For a marine tank. Would 3ft of sump work well?

I figure for planted its still over board but worth considering

Just an update/question. I've scored a free 3x1.5x1.5 to use for the sump and have been drawing up the designs and everything and it looks a little bit tight under the tank. Would this be workable? Also would the sump design work. Water moving from left to right, coarse sponge between the first two diviodors, heaps of jap matt, ceramic rings, bioballs, filterwool, etc in the middle and heater, return pump, co2 reactor in the last section?

post-10433-14711632602147_thumb.jpg

post-10433-14711632601969_thumb.jpg