.Im interested to add a few small gudgeons to my native tank. At the moment I have pacific blues and threadfin rainbows and would like to add a small gudgeon or two. Apart from fire tailed gudgeons are there any other small gudgeon species?

Actually - reread the post and missed the "threadfin" in front of rainbow. These guys are best kept by themselves. You'll find that even with the P.signifer, they will be too active for the I.werneri. This will see them slowly but surely not eating enough and wasting away (catching disease etc.). In the wild though, they are found with a variety of gudgeons (big and small) but the confined space of a fish tank and things like artificial feed will not see them doing well if they are forced to compete (moral is: werneri really suck at competing with almost anything else...even things the same size...)

Edited by Ancalimon
wait a minute - threadfin

I would not add Empires in with Threadfins.. or you may find their fins get nipped. Large Empires will easily eat female Wernerii. Apart from that they are pigs at eating and you may find your Wernerii don't get enough food. Empires can also get to 10cm or more so are not a dwarf. There are loads of small Gudgeons though you may need to catch them yourself. Midgleys Carp Gudgeons are nice. Used to breed them but no one knew what they were so it was too hard to sell them.

Edited by none