.Hey guys,

I recently acquired a pair of flowerhorns, males around 20cm, female is 15 or so cm.

they have already laid and now looking after the eggs :)

Just wanting to know are they of any decent quality? I like the female, she's quite pretty. both are fairly tame, can hand feed them and pat the male on his Kok :)

Male

IMG_3900.jpg

Female

IMG_3840.jpg

Thanks for any help guys :)

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Do you know if they are from the same batch of fry, they look very similar? Quality all depends on good body shape, kok size (on males), pearling, vibrant colour & good scripting.

I find that crushed coral substrate with a fairly dark back round helps bring out their colour, they also like a slighted higher Ph than most Americans. There are also great Flowerhorn food available specifically for them that enhance growth, kok and colour, but in the end it all comes down to their genes.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers

Jeridre

I have no idea on their parents or if they came from the same batch. I'm currently using playsand as it was in the tank when i got them, My tap water pH is around 8 anyway so they should be happy in there :)

I'm using LED lighting now. once the fry hatch and are freeswimming, I'll strip them into a smaller tank. i will then swap over the dark gravel i have thats mixed with crushed coral :)

thanks mate :)

Regards,

Nathan

sorry to say mate

not the best looking flowerhorns

im not expert but ive had a pair myself was 20-25cm tho not sure if the size diff would make up the quality but i have seen some really nice flowerhorn at your size

Given some good quality food and water those guys may improve quite a lot... They look like they were raised on the cheapest food possible.. Which really isn't the best way to get the most from your flowerhorn.

Good luck with them!

I got them from a guy in woodridge who honestly looked like a junkie lol... they have been fed hikari massivore delite and blood worms since being with me :)

I will be introducing them later on today into a community tank,when i picked them up, they were in a community tank, so we shall see if they are still cool with that :)