netty_3164

Latest goldfish project: Broad-tail Moors

Hi all,

I'm back after a brief hiatus as funds were put towards setting up the reef system. Now that I'm happy with how the reef is progressing, it's time the goldfishes got some more love.

I thought I'd share my most recent project that I'd be looking to stringently refine and continue. BTW, it's has been great to see quality goldfish coming into Aus as of late e.g. quality lfs orandas & the increasing number of hobbyists which now own imported TVR :clap2:

Anyhow some pics:

Firstly the UK broadtail standard:

standard1.gif

Examples of exceptional fish:

VBMoor12.JPG

& lastly my trio of broadtail moors

DSC_0079Copy.jpg

DSC_0091Copy.jpg

cCopy-1.jpg

9 day old fry feeding on bbs

P1240921Copy.jpg

Further reading for those interested

Broadtail Moor Goldfish

Goldfish Culling - Veiltail and Broadtail Moor - Site for Goldfish Keepers

Cheers,

John

Just an update on the first batch of fry which are now 33 days old - the black colouration has deepened, fins & caudal more developed, the next cull will be in 3 or so months when the telescopic eyes develop.

I also got a larger spawn a week ago: which have gone through the first screening to remove crooked backs and single tails. Unsurprisingly, all the single tail fry were larger so they must have beaten their slower double tail siblings to the food :?

Additionally, an interesting find that I've found when breeding these broad/veils is that you'll also get a few butterflytail fry. Through further reading, this was confirmed by US and UK breeders whereby the butterflytails can either be culled or in my case used in further butterflytail projects :egrin:

Anyhow, pics of the cute 33 day old fry

butterflytailvsbroadorveilCopy.png

Further reading on butterfly tails in broad/veil spawns

http://goldfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4291&page=4

Cheers, probably looking to offload some later on down the track however at this stage I'll be looking to keep the majority until they mature a bit more.

From what I've read, the telescopic eyes won't be fully formed until at least 4 month so I'll be waiting til around then to see which I'll be keeping myself to continue breeding/offloading, will keep you updated though

Some pics of the special 12 that have been selected over 4 spawned batches - raised indoors & receive VIP treatment with every other day water changes + 5x feedings per day

At this stage, very pleased to see the strong erect dorsal fin appearing in the fry when both the parents had folded dorsal fins :clap2:

It goes to show not so perfect adults can be used as 'seeds' & there is a possibility of producing some beautiful offspring

DSC_0005Copy.jpg

DSC_0063Copy-2.jpg

DSC_0061Copy-1.jpg

Picture to show how significantly the telescopic eyes have developed since the last update

DSC_0746Copy.jpg

Also in the past 2 weeks I've noticed there have been a high number of dead (half eaten) & various injuries in the fry raised in the two bath tub ponds outside. I had some free time today and stripped the pond to find these culprits! :rant:

I must have netted out 3x the number seen in the photo below!

P1250655Copy.jpg

Update:

Phil and Werner now own the adult breeders as seen in the first post as well as some of my fry. This is great as they'll be continuing the line & will have separate bloodlines (great for genetic diversity if we decide to cross/breed with each other's fish in the future). At this stage for me, further breeding will be halted until the end of the year, focus can just be on growing out the few remaining fry I've kept. With 60+ hrs of uni (that's including study) & occasionally weekend work, breeding and raising is just not feasible.

This is a better line drawing imo which shows the breeding goal (towards veiltail moors)

11050967_968977873112459_1538877935_n.jpg

Offspring I have kept: check out the dorsal & elongated pelvic and tail fins!

DSC_0020%20Copy.jpg

DSC_0012%20Copy.jpg

z%20Copy.jpg

Enjoy

John

Edited by netty_3164

Many of the goldfish hobbyists have migrated to facebook but for the sake of updating the thread for anyone that does come across this, here is an approximately 8 month old progress pic

Beautiful body profile, jet black colour, symmetrical telescope eyes, lovely squared off tail without any forking. Downers are perhaps a more elongated tail is desirable (but then this may ultimately affect its swimming motion) & unfortunately with this particular one, it's dorsal has folded over like its mothers.

12431260_1141956335814611_1480874364_n%20Copy.jpg

A bit hard to gauze how many others I have left (greenwater pond) but we shall see. I'll annoy other people who have purchased my moors previously to see if we can get some progress pics from them too :ewink:

Hey Netty -

This is a little off topic, but as you are a bit of a moor expert I thought I would ask. I posted a pic in the thread here: http://www.qldaf.com/forums/goldfish-koi-46/black-moor-but-not-125908/

Let me be clear: I don't know GF standards, I just have 6 of them as pets and nothing more...so they are pretty to me.

But out of curiosity, is it usual to see a moor with a completely joined tail like this, or just an odd breeding? (it's the only thing special about him, otherwise just a plain black moor)

Very common, fused tails aren't usually desirable (tosakin being the exception) when it comes to goldfish breeding/standards but nonetheless still make lovely pets. Your fish looks like a cute bronze telescope goldfish with a fused butterfly tail. The term 'moor' I believe refers to black fish with telescopic eyes.

Below you can see the majority of fry have fused tails - these were gifted to a friend as I had no plans to breed more fused tail moors

9v8vx3.jpg

Thanks for the info - it cn sometimes be difficult to find goldie info online that is more than the absolute basic. I think he is pretty even if not a typical beauty. Your broadtails look amazing! (From somebody who knows little about gf standards... but appreciates the pretties and time put into them!)

The fish below is a sister of the above fish & I'm extremely thrilled with how exquisitely her tail has developed! - makes the meticulous processes of selecting & raising them all worth it!

13503111_1277624525581124_2224306481100075838_o.jpg