Sign in to follow this  
Ryan220587

Oxygen in tanks...

Hi guys,

Went to an aquarium yesterday and noticed a setup with no air bubbles breaking the surface anywhere. I asked one of the staff how the water was being oxygenated, and they said it was via the high flow powerhead in the tank. They explained that in a natural habitat, the fish will be able to get whatever oxygen they need from the heavily-circulated water. They did also state that their more heavily loaded tanks were using bubbles, but for not so heavily loaded tanks, they are simply a decoration and nothing more.

What are peoples' thoughts on this? I would like to know if there is anyone out there who is perhaps not pushing air through their tanks and how it's working out for you?

Ryan

What they said sounds right to me, I have a Fluval 304 running my 5ft and a 600LPH internal filter with a venturi just for an extra measure. I put the outlet up top so it creates a mass ripple of the sort in the water. Also keep an eye on the temperature, the higher the temp, the less oxygen will be dissolved in the water.

Etienne

Hey mate,

thanks for the heads up. I noticed one of my pakistani loaches looks like he is struggling for air, i have put him in a tank with more oxygen and will see how that goes. My paradise fish and rainbows, my other loach and my bn all seem happy and thriving (i think they like it more!)

I will continue to keep a close eye on the other stock, and i might even lower the temp on my heater to about 24 from 26

Ryan

Well, one of my loaches is cactus, no idea why. No visible markings, water conditions are fine. The other one seems to be doing ok, as do all my other stock. Will look into this.

Ryan

Well, one of my loaches is cactus, no idea why. No visible markings, water conditions are fine. The other one seems to be doing ok, as do all my other stock. Will look into this.

Ryan

I think my loaches might have white spot, they are in isolation for now.

Hey Ryan220587,

I don't run oxygen in any of my tanks. I just have the filter spraybar facing across the surface of the water so that there is a nice rippling effect. There has been a previous discussion on here about this topic, and one piece of information mentioned, was that air bubble stones or what ever don't actually add oxygen to your tanks water. Oxygen exchange occurs when the air bubbles break the surface water.

moving water and water surface area=oxygen.

the sea and the rivers dont have air bubbles...but they do have plants which will provide O2.

you have plants in your tank hey ryan?

no need to worry then bro as long as you numbers arnt to high(fish numbers)lol

just cuz you can see oxygen doesnt mean its not there.

may have other problem going on causing you fish to hand at the top.

what temp is your tank at dude?

yeah 27 isnt way to high for what you keep but the lower the temp the last oxygen that is needed. but wholdnt go lower than say 23-24. this all depend on how stocked your tank is also dude but yeah run with 25 that is a good medium dude.

good luck with your fish.

Sign in to follow this