th3f0rg0t3n

OSCAR fish with HOLE IN THE HEAD ?

Not a current problem, but a mate has just given me an oscar so i thought oh yeah why not,

Remembering when i was 12years old and a pair of oscars (my first fish) died from hole in the head,

Now many moons later in life i find myself keeping an oscar again, My question is,

If an oscar is to get the dreaded hole in the head disease does this become a problem for the oscars tank mates or just a problem solely for the oscar ?

Any previous experience / knowledge will be greatly appreciated as i have ZERO idea on this topic.

Have thrown the oscar into my tank that has my 2x RTGG , if this hole in the head is in any shape or form contagious i will be sure to get rid of the oscar ASAP rather than risk my GG's!!

I do appreciate everyones input, and as of now the oscar is TINY maybe 12-15cm RTGG's are easily 45-55cm lol so he surely on guard around them!

Despite heaps of advice online to the contrary it is HIGHLY contagious. Someone I know used gravel that was previously from a tank with an Oscar. New tankmates: Phenochilus, Alto compressiceps and others. ALL africans got hole in the head despite it being a massive tank with eheim filters - perfect parameters. After spending hundereds trying to cure the fish the treatment has been unsuccessful. I'd be VERY cautious about mixing and about cross-contamination to other tanks when doing water changes etc.,

A true shame, he is such a cute little albino tiger oscar too

-- He does spend his time hiding well away from the mouths of my GG's though whom might mistake him for a white strawberry if he ventures too close!!

I will sort out his future living arrangements tomorrow when i wake up but i very much appreciate your input [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION]