lambis

drilling a tank.

.So i went out and got a 4 ft marine tank! I'm pretty keen to get everything running, but in my excitement I threw everything in before looking up how to get a sump put in. I had never really researched sumps before, and didn't know you had to drill the tank. Is there a way to do a sump without drilling the tank? I would hate to loose the 3 bags of base sand and 1 of live sand i threw in. I there some sort of pump that would work without drilling?

Any help would be appreciated.

I would spend a bit of time researching if I were you..

Glass is very delicate and large tanks usually are rather thick...

There's a variety of overflow styles which have evolved over the years and bottom drilling I think is the latest in discreet and sound management.

Personally I would get some help if I were you, post you ideas and designs so we can help you decided the most appropriate and ideal design in which you should drill.

The sump and overflow is a complicated system which should be deeply investigated to suit each situation. Taking into consideration anti-syphoning and sound reducing also the type of sump you intend on using if it's wet/dry and baffled or mainly live rock or refugium, I've never owned a sump but I'm sure your flow rate will differ depending on which type of sump setup you're using.. Most importantly fail safe design is paramount.

I don't mean to drown you in the spectrum of sumps but don't rush it.. Drilling is extreme imo

The parts you seek are not expensive but mistakes that are easily made are.

B93A3308-E192-4515-B700-50FF7C5F964A_zpsltglkc0c.jpg

There are endless overflow designs and my preference would have to be the far right in the picture above

Drilling is extremely easy, keep plenty of water on the bit whilst drilling. Take your time, take breaks if you need to.

Might be a good idea to test drill on a spare piece of glass before attempting it on your tank though