lachie1998

Yr12 Major- Aquarium Stand

.Hey All

For my yr12 timber major i will be constructing a timber stand and possibly a hood if i have enough time. Id like it to be a decent sized tank around the 8ft mark. Im going to post the progress of it here so it could possibly help others and also to get some tips and advice along the way.

So far i haven't committed to a size yet because id like to get the tank first before i start building. Here are some ruff plans i have drawn up. (wont upload for some reason)

I have an idea of a slide out step coming out of the center of the aquarium as i want the stand to be quite high this would help gain access to the tank without having to use a step ladder or something like that. It can also double up as storage space with drawers.-What are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks

.Hey All

For my yr12 timber major i will be constructing a timber stand and possibly a hood if i have enough time. Id like it to be a decent sized tank around the 8ft mark. Im going to post the progress of it here so it could possibly help others and also to get some tips and advice along the way.

So far i haven't committed to a size yet because id like to get the tank first before i start building. Here are some ruff plans i have drawn up. (wont upload for some reason)

I have an idea of a slide out step coming out of the center of the aquarium as i want the stand to be quite high this would help gain access to the tank without having to use a step ladder or something like that. It can also double up as storage space with drawers.-What are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks

Sounds cool. 6x2x2 come up pretty often and are cheap, 8 ft not so much.

"top" as in 'from the hood'? I can see that getting in the way of looking at the fish.. not to mention the height for the vertically challenged like myself..

you could try putting a little "flap" on a hinge, on the sides of the tank that can be propped up to be a bench/table thing.. i'm not sure how that would look cosmetically though.. but it would be bloody useful to have a little table near the tank that you don't need to move around all the time..

I would worry about the fridge being underneath.. they create a fair bit of heat and need some airflow, otherwise it might give the filters (if you go canister) excess heat -- especially in summer -- resulting in fluctuating temperatures....and confused/sick fish..not to mention heating the bottom of the tank too..

If you're standing around the tank drinking, the fish are either going to freak the hell out and bounce off the walls, or you won't be able to see the whole thing and have to step back anyway. ..or I just have jerk fish that don't like spending quality time with me up close :(

The bar idea would only work on the condition that you fill the tank with vb, drill it an put a bar tap on it. you couldnt keep fish, but sure as horses, after enough drinks youll end up with any number of mates flowndering in there. SECONDLYYYY from memory your not legaly old enough to drink in year 12...