gingerbeer

Various colour enhacing products

Same as lictoga I have used it on a display tank with Gold Severums and Fire mouths, this is what I used ( Spinach, Spirulina Algae and Carophyll Pink are added to Freeze Dried Black Worms to bring out the reds and oranges in your fish) and the results.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

The worst offenders of all are those bloody pond people! They abuse natural algaes and live foods. Both of which are rich in the very pigments that colour fish.

I dont see any harm in captive fish keepers using ingredients that originate in algaes to try simulate the colours on wild fish.

it aint always perfect, such as the use of astax on african cichlid females......... but for many it comes down to cost.

If you hatch your own brine shrimp and feed them up into adults using different algaes and cyanos....... then those brine shrimp become basically colour bombs for any fish.

Yer i dont see any issues even for breeders... It isnt taking a photo and then colouring the fish in post processing? Its a real fish that can be seen by the buyers... And its also a realistic effect that any buyer can replicate if they also put the money in to colour enhancing foods.

To me its like saying you cant sell fish under lights that enhance their natural colours?

I've never used anything like this before but I'm really considering trying some sort of colour enhancing food out when I've got my discus display up and running. Anyone able to recommend any brands or steer me clear of others? Cheers

.Speaking to various people, this is still a controversial topic. Some breeders will use it to an extent for good sounding reasons.

Where is the line in your opinion. Do you use colour enhancing food?? And why??

Is there really any food that does not contain something that improves colour? I think we all use a food that enhances colour in one way or another even if we do not know it, but I think it is more to what extent would you go to?

Is there really any food that does not contain something that improves colour? I think we all use a food that enhances colour in one way or another even if we do not know it, but I think it is more to what extent would you go to?

there is certainly foods that strip colour just have to look at some yellows on the market.

there is certainly foods that strip colour just have to look at some yellows on the market.

Usually foods that contain no pigment rich ingredients.

I can usually tell at a glance African cichlid fry that have been raised on nothing but el cheapo ridleys aquaculture pellet.

That foods designed to grow nice white fillets of meat, theres no consideration for fish colour.

The exception I suppose is the astax dosed salmon variety that has a dollap of astax to turn the meat pink/orange.