Lasher

Male Peppermint not doing his job

.About 5 years ago I bought 5 baby peppermints - I assume all siblings. Over that time two died, leaving me with 2 females and a male. Perfect ratio, right?

Well over the past couple of years the females have been dropping eggs, but alas, the male simply ignores them. I thought over time he'd mature enough to do his duty (see pics below). However, I'm at the point where I've given up hope and think I need to acquire another male. Any ideas or suggestions?

As you can see by these pics, both females have laid within days. In the past I have tried egg tumblers, but the eggs just dissolve - I assume because they were not fertilised.

post-5764-14711632671276_thumb.jpg

post-5764-14711632671096_thumb.jpg

Maybe he doesn't swing that way? :P

Mine is pretty useless at looking after the eggs (i love my tumbler), but he usually fertilises them before getting excited and kicking them out of his log.. are you sure none of them are fertilised? I usually have one lot of eggs booted out because the other female laid too .. (then he has a special moment and boots the second lot out because he's a toss).

Thanks for the info Nini. I'm sceptical he gets to the stage of fertilising them as at least 3 attempts at egg tumbling have resulted in no results. At first I tried poking the eggs into his log on numerous times but they'd just end up outside. I guess his evolutionary instincts are being suppressed - or he swings a different way :-)

I'd be more than happy to organise a swap if anyone is in the same boat.

can try tilting his log so its higher at the entrance - harder to kick eggs out.

or can put a piece of slate/driftwood on top of his log to make him feel more secure to raise the eggs.

are you sure the eggs are not fertile? if he kick again, can tumble eggs in methy blue solution to prevent fungus infection.