Redback1

Sodastream aquarium co2 system

All you need is the usual CO2 equipment (solenoid, regulator, bubble counter, tubing, diffuser), which you can get from a LFS e.g., Age of Aquariums. The only difference is that you will need an extra sodastream adapter (available on ebay) so that you can use sodastream bottles instead of normal CO2 bottles.

Then you just buy a sodastream bottle or two (unless you have some already), and when they run empty, you take it to Kmart/BIGW/etc and swap it for a full one. Easy :) Although sodastream bottles are small and don't contain a lot of CO2. They will run out quickly if you have a large aquarium, and won't be as cost effective in the long run as buying a larger CO2 bottle.

I went down that route for a while, but the constant worrying about when the CO2 was running low, and visits to Kmart to swap bottles got a bit old. Now with a bigger bottle, I can forget its even there :)

Hi Redback

I originally started with a cheap bottle setup I got online when I first started, I found the regular filling to be annoying, I have gone to a keg on legs bottle from the home brew shop which lasts me around 3 months and use a tunze reg and diffuser, you may pay a little extra for tunze however I have had so many cheap regs fail and give false reading and suffer out of control flow rate changes when the ambient temp changes, which can be dangerous when it causes ph swings.

HTH

Thanks for all the info. I have the fluval nano planted aquarium kit so it's not that big. Just have to make up my mind on what co2 setup I want and how much money I want to spend. Looking at regulators on eBay at the moment that are from Hong Kong but not to sure of quality?

I agree totally, as I said Iv bought heap regs before and they last about 6 months before they're stuffed, and some leak as well, if anything goes wrong like the titanium heater I bought from guppies that nuked my tank to 85degrees then you're screwed, just buy it from a shop at least you have a warranty, I chased and chased with mine and sent it back and he denied he received it back therefor it got lost in Aus post. Save yourself the hassle bro.