blocka

Revision to the ban of importation of Arowana

Not me I don't believe I have the knowledge to be any help but seeing as silvers are not cites listed and still can't be legally imported sadly I can't see it happening for the others because of the risk of further strain on wild populations due to greedy people and second being able to tolerate our warmer waters on the off chance they escape but does happen via natural disasters floods ect

There will also be restrictions placed on the import of these species. Restrictions will be placed on to reduce the mass import of poor low grade fish sold at high prices and wrecking our market. People need to realsie that low grade RTG and green arowana may appear to look like a super red or goden aro as juveniles 15cm, but won't display their true colours until a few years old and a good 30 - 35cm in size. Educate yourselves now and have all the information before tthey are legally allowed to be imported.

I personally know the person who compiled this submission and know that it will get legs and go through.

The thing is, just because it's a logical submission, dosnt mean that the government will allow it. All they need is one vocal and incorrect minority and it's a dead end.

Gun laws and metadata retention anyone??

Restrictions will be placed on to reduce the mass import of poor low grade fish sold at high prices and wrecking our market.

There is no way that Australian officials are going to filter the quality of fish.. aside from routine quarantine related matters they have no authority let alone ability to do this. Australian authorities are also not concerned about price in the market. If they are allowed in - they are allowed in. What happens then is down to demand and supply..

There is no way that Australian officials are going to filter the quality of fish.. aside from routine quarantine related matters they have no authority let alone ability to do this. Australian authorities are also not concerned about price in the market. If they are allowed in - they are allowed in. What happens then is down to demand and supply..

Pretty much along the lines I was thinking. Once a species is on the allowable import list, how can restrictions be put in place on it's supply, other than if ALL the breeders and sellers over seas have an agreement with one Australian importer (the person who put forward this submission).

dont think you are 100% correct about the DoNt check quality thing didn't they recently (earlier this year ) put a temporary stop on the importation of archer fish because they believed them to be a hybrid not pure strain correct me if I heard wrong

dont think you are 100% correct about the DoNt check quality thing didn't they recently (earlier this year ) put a temporary stop on the importation of archer fish because they believed them to be a hybrid not pure strain correct me if I heard wrong

I'm not aware of the Toxotes jaculatrix issue. If it occured it was likely a disease related issue. Alternatively as only one species of Archerfish is importable - if they believed them to be another species - not as invoiced - that is grounds for refusal. "Assorted Aulonocara" are nearly all cross-breds. The quality of much that is imported is very low quality. Their job is to check that the fish arrived matches the invoice. They check health that's it. They can't even do this job properly which is why many of the species we have here today not on the import list are actually here..

Edited by none

Pretty much along the lines I was thinking. Once a species is on the allowable import list, how can restrictions be put in place on it's supply, other than if ALL the breeders and sellers over seas have an agreement with one Australian importer (the person who put forward this submission).

Exactly right - others are already waiting to 'piggy-back' the application if approved.

If it ever does happen I believe it needs to have a similar system as reptiles buying, selling and deaths need to be recorded in a record book and a movement advise filled out when selling the fish. The thing I find odd is an australian company can breed microchip and export lungfish also cites listed but the same can't be done with scleropages. [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION] the thing with the archer fish is just what I was told by the owner of the shop when enquiring why I couldn't find any.

There will also be restrictions placed on the import of these species. Restrictions will be placed on to reduce the mass import of poor low grade fish sold at high prices and wrecking our market. People need to realsie that low grade RTG and green arowana may appear to look like a super red or goden aro as juveniles 15cm, but won't display their true colours until a few years old and a good 30 - 35cm in size. Educate yourselves now and have all the information before tthey are legally allowed to be imported.

Hilarious, ROFL actually.

Posted this on here before in another thread belongs here.The Department reviewed the information.

The Department published the report, notified stakeholders and invited comment from State Departments.

It seems the Department did not review the information very well................. and is still to receive comment from the State Departments.