Xrboy_85

advice on RO unit

.Hey guys

long term keeper and poster on discus forum but first time here. Finally going to take the plunge into ro and capitalise on our bore water supply, which ihave discovered is really hard on theGH scale.

Can anyone recommend a psi RO model for discus water prep, i have had a look on their website and see they do a specific aquarium model for $340 but I have heard of lots of people paying a lot less for theirs,,,,

PSI-306-PC 2 is a cheaper 2 stage?? would this be suitable?

Thanks In advance Justin

Xrboy_85 just be aware that a good quality RO unit will waste a lot of water to give you RO water. I do not want to put you off buying one as they are great for what the can do but a lot of people do not realise how an RO actually makes the water or how slow a lot of the cheap units can be when you need to get 100L or so at a time.

As a kid I lived in North QLD and we only had well water from an under ground spring so I had an RO unit for my fish tanks. To produce 1L of RO water the unit can put out almost 1L of waste water depending on the quality of the water source. To save on water usage I used to collect this waste water for my mum to water her plants otherwise it was not very water wise especially as we had no town water supply and this was our only water supply.

My parents actually still have the same unit to this day but we modified it to remove the RO membrane and just keep the filter cartridges and they use it to filter the well water for drinking water these days.

.Hey guys

long term keeper and poster on discus forum but first time here. Finally going to take the plunge into ro and capitalise on our bore water supply, which ihave discovered is really hard on theGH scale.

Can anyone recommend a psi RO model for discus water prep, i have had a look on their website and see they do a specific aquarium model for $340 but I have heard of lots of people paying a lot less for theirs,,,,

PSI-306-PC 2 is a cheaper 2 stage?? would this be suitable?

Thanks In advance Justin

Sorry should have been more specific when I said cheaper units. I was meaning in terms of output (L/min). Some of the laboratoy grade machines obviously over kill for a fish room but they can put out large amounts of water per min where as the smaller home use ones can have very low flow.

No matter which one you purchase also look at not only the price of the RO unit but the replacment membranes and cotton filters and if they are easily available. RO membranes should last you a long time but the other filter cartridges may need to be changed often if your water has silt or other fine paricles or your flow drop quickly.

Also be aware that many of the cheaper units use the exact same membranes. Just make sure when you decide to pay more that you aren't just throwing away money.

Thanks for the input so far guys,

so my plan is to rig this up to pump into and ibc tank so theres plenty of storage and then can be pre heated for 200L water changes every 2-3 days with a pressure pump to the main tank, water cost is irrelevant cause the bore is free, the ph is 6 but the GH is way up.

the waste water will be pumped straight onto the lawn so really not concerned about waster water seeing we already pump about 5000lts a week on the yard.

Depending on how high your GH is you might be able to get away with say 50% RO water and 50% non RO might have to experiment a bit with the mix. You will have to keep an eye on the pH as well because decreasing the GH will alter the pH. If you use 100% RO you will have to add trace elements back to the water as these will all be removed as well.