Sign in to follow this  
MDAMAZING

continuous drip system

.I want in install a continuous drip system

unfortunately my local tap water contains chloramine at about 0.5ppm of ammonia

I know that if I use high quality catalytic activated carbon I'll be able to convert the chlorine into ammonia,

I haven't tested this out so I'm not exactly sure what ppm of ammonia will remain once I've removed all chlorine but I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 1-2ppm ammonia maybe even higher..

So if I'm dripping 50% of my aquarium volume per day that would theoretically create a huge bio load that really isn't going to be beneficial. Nitrates will only climb faster from the increasing the already existing level of ammonia.

My only thought is too completely pretreat tap water prior to dripping..

firstly: convert chloramine into only ammonia

secondly: convert ammonia into nitrates

Thirdly: reduce nitrates

fourthly: temperature regulation

These steps would effect drip rates. Hopefully without contributing excess ammonia nitrites and nitrates.

you're probably wondering why I wouldn't just reduce my nitrates instead of doing it in another system altogether, and my only reply to that is, I want to eliminate water changes, replenish lost minerals and remove any excess hormones, dissolved organic & inorganic waste, proteins, possible pathogens ect ect.

I have several hundred tanks, most on continous drip. The solution is slow drip as your bio filterandll cope with huge levels of ammonia. If you want to remove nitrite & ammonia prior, you can chlorine bomb and then strip chlorine. Send me an email for more info, I'm on a phone atm.

you can swap waste water between systems if you want to maximise water usage. fish waste, protein and hormone is species specific.

You can also reduce nitrate (and extend water usage) with plant filters. I culture green water tanks on rotation both to purify water and to feed as live food which enhances colour naturally. Pump the green water indoors instead of taking fish outdoors.

Duckweed similarly which can be used as food.

So if I'm dripping 50% of my aquarium volume per day

I think this is far too high.

On a 100 litre tank you could drip 5 litres per day and by the end of a week you have effectively done a 30% water change (allowing for the partial dilution of outflowing water by the inflowing). Here is a calculator that might be useful.

At the moment I'm doing 50% wc every three days or double 50% wc once a week.

If I have time I'll do double 50% wc every three or four days.

Dripping 50% a day will amount to about 100% per week.

This is simply the maintaince requirement for my overstocked African Cichlid aquarium.

Sign in to follow this