lgw

Pothos plant

.I thought I'd start up a thread about the 'pothos' plant, found in bunnings and other stores locally as 'pothos golden ivy'.

It is sold as a house plant, but can be washed, trimmed and the roots submersed in your aquarium, filter or sump.

This plant is the best I know of for consuming nitrates and would be advantageous for every freshwater aquarium. If your fish aren't plant eaters, let the roots hang through the lids into the water as a feature. If they do, an overflow, hang on back filter, sump or even a shower caddy is perfect for the roots to grow in.

They need minimal light to survive, however the more light you give.. the more they will thrive ( consume nitrates ).

Heres a thread dedicated to the plant on Monsterfishkeepers and a pic of it in action on my tank.

Cheap plants, less nitrate! POTHOS

post-6895-14711632689733_thumb.jpg

post-6895-14711632689942_thumb.jpg

Edited by lgw

I've been using it in a few tanks for months. It seems to be working well, especially for messy fish like catfish. It develops this root structure that is a great place for the fry to get in and feed, but importantly it does consume wastes, maybe even faster than the filter.

went to bunnings and got two hanging pots of devil ivy for $16ea. There were smaller pots for $9 and noticed a lot of pothos variants (small leaves, green leaves, white and green leaves, big leaves - they have names but forgot to take note). any idea on what's the best variant? might get some more the next time i'm there.