surfingfish

How to store an aquarium properly

.Hi guys, it's been ages since I have been on here or posted but so happy the old account is working.

So to get into it, I am going overseas for 2 years and I wanted to put my 48L fluval edge tank into storage, I have the original box and all. I have it full and working currently but would like to empty and clean it out tomorrow. Does anyone have some tips, advice on how I could store this tank to retail it's condition?

Thank you you in advance for helping me out with this :)

jase

Yer the silicone may crap out.

So when the silicone is in contact with water for two years it's ok but if left without it will perish? How do they store retail fishtanks? Surely some sit for some time? Like wouldn't there be fluval edge in a warehouse somewhere?

I didnt want want to sell it I plan on using it when I am back in aus.

So when the silicone is in contact with water for two years it's ok but if left without it will perish? How do they store retail fishtanks? Surely some sit for some time? Like wouldn't there be fluval edge in a warehouse somewhere?

I didnt want want to sell it I plan on using it when I am back in aus.

Silicon dose perish over time and exposure to the elements.

Even in water it breaks down takes a long time but it dose happen.

Having silicone underwater for a extended period of time and then dried out will increase this time line.

Could try storing it in a well sealed box and wrap it in packaging plastic, that cling wrap stuff from office works.

Could you please link me to the cling wrap you are speaking of?

You might be better of with a roll of normal cling wrap. The pallet stuff ain't cheap also have to by bulk.

Bunnings dose have this http://www.bunnings.com.au/packaging-shrnk-wrap-wrap-move-500mmx280m-50mm-core-07596_p2610071

Edited by Lictoga

I read somewhere once that Hagen/fluval reccomends replacing their tanks every 8 years. Although resealing would be another good option....... just not as good for hagen lol

Just had a quick look on wetwebmedia but could only find this.

Proper Storage Of Glass Fish Tank -- 06/30/11

My husband is in the military and we anticipate moving frequently in the next two to three years.

<<Ah yes'¦>>

We would like to put our 220 gallon glass fish tank into long-term storage, but have been told that storage will ruin the silicone seals. Is this true?

<<Mmm, perhaps under 'extreme' conditions'¦but not something I have ever seen or experienced. As a 20-year veteran myself, I had occasion to store aquariums for long periods and never had problems with the silicone from such storage>>

If so, is there anything that can be done to preserve the seals during storage?

<<A bigger concern I think is to make sure the tank is cleaned thoroughly. Any leftover mineral deposits will only become that much harder to remove, and may even mar/etch the glass. A good scrub with a mild vinegar solution, followed by a good rinse with clear water, is in order here. Other than cleaning, I don't think there's much else you need be concerned with (or can do much about) here>>

Thank you,

Jody

<<Happy to share'¦ EricR>>

I did the old storage thing when I was overseas for two year. I found 1 big problem with it was when I got home I looked at all the stuff I had in there and kinda went 'why did I bother'. I almost could have bought most things new after having it storage for that long. So save your money get a friend or 2 to look after what you really need and SELL the rest including your tank mate, in the long run it will be easier to know that the new tank you just got is all the bomb and ready to go.. Just my thoughts anyway have fun tripping about mate..