mitc69

my barra broken?

.alright new hobby for me and all, lol.. so i decide to grow a barra.. got everything ready and great to go... they are live and kicking, consider it my first time.. have 4 of them in a 8ft tank, there surround with about 10 clawfish and 200 guppies.... alot of room to hide... however the barra ARE SLUGGISH, there about 5-8cm.. they chase it for like 2sec and give up... is it becuz the way i made it or they just that lazy in general? i have a feeling they stave to death the rate they try to feed at... should i be worried?

whats the tank specs bro?

Problem:-

Ph:-

Ammonia:-

Nitrate:-

Nitrite:-

Gh:-

Kh:-

Size of tank:-

Temperature °C:-

Been running for:-

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:-

Fish in tank:-

Plants in Tank:-

Feeding:- What food and How often

Recent Medication Treatments:-

Last water change:-

Water change every Day/Weekly/Monthly

problem - barra ARE SLUGGISH cant feed on live guppies

Ph:- 7

Ammonia:- no tests tank is clear as....

Nitrate:- 40

Nitrite:-1

Gh:- 120

Kh:- 120

Size of tank:- 8ft

Temperature °C:- 27

Been running for:- 2days

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- UV Canister

Fish in tank:- barra

Plants in Tank:- none

Feeding:- What food and How often? - once a day pallets

Recent Medication Treatments:- none

Last water change:- none

Ambush predator, they don't chase there food they wait till it's swims to close and they would be snacking on those guppies when they feel like it.

As long as your water is in check, are you using any salt in your tank.

well i watch them chase them for like 2sec, as soon as the guppies super swim the barra just gives up.... salt? i need that?

2days in total

Wow your filter is no where near ready,

So some basics.

You need bacteria in your filter to break down the toxic crap in your water from the fish poo and left over food, ammonia nitrite nitrate, this can take upto and over a month,

Since you jumped the gun big time.

You will need to do a water Change every day or to days at the most, go get some water conditioner, prime, fraction, what ever double dose with this when doing water changes, also pick up some quick start and dump the bottle in the tank, cut back the pellets remove the guppies if possible.

And by a bloody test kit.

Your tank isn't cycled mate.

Get your self some Fraction ASAP Age of Aquariums - Fraction - Maximum Strenght Water Conditioner 2 Litre possibly buy some 'bacteria' product if you believe in those products Age of Aquariums - API Quick Start 473ml DO some reading & hope for the best. If you know anybody with an established tank, see if you can swap some media out of their filter with yours (as yours has little to no bacteria)

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/help-fish-health-diseases-water-quality-12/nitrifying-bacteria-facts-56738/

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

http://www.fishchannel.com/fishkidz/beginner-fish/fishless-cycling.aspx

Please do read up of the nitrogen cycle & how to cycle your aquarium mate. Google is your friend. Best of luck with it all. A test kit will be your best friend in situations like this. And yeah I would be trying to remove all gudgeons & crayfish. But if you cannot Just try purchasing some 'bacteria starter' from you local fish store & follow the advice in posted links.

Have fun.

Edited by Craigo

Yup go learn about the nitrogen cycle and cycling a tank.

In the meantime, go to your local LFS or someone you know who keeps fish and ask them nicely if you can have a few buckets full of there water and most importantly as much dirty filter media they can give you, LFS (local fish shop) is probably best as they will have sump systems running with lots of media available. Squeeze and wrinse the media in your tank water, and then put it in your own filter. Yeah it will be dirty looking but you need good bacteria ASAP. There is the risk of introducing unwanted pests or disease, but the way I see it is, your fish are dead if you don't do this anyway. Proper preperation prevents pi$$ poor performance...

owelll if they die they die, all good learning exp :)... if u dont get it right the first time u can get it right the 2nd time, hehe most u guys reply if it the end of the world, lol.. but no for me i've always thought long water was clean and u have a filter for the water, that was u needed to keep the first alive, lol but i guess not... no1 gonna be a pro when they start something new, LOL even if they all read up on the info, lol... heck u think all those pro share market books works or how be millionaire work? lol they dont!, so take it from me when i say, i've been in the share market for good 3yrs without loss... that reading up on info just dosent cut it without exp the failure, i spent 6 good bad mth in loss before i got the process down! and became successful at it...

a fish tank is the same, all trail and error! those who thinks otherwise is just been stupid... anyhow am i right to assume that the barra are slow is due to the tank condition and not there natural nature?

owelll if they die they die, all good learning exp :)... if u dont get it right the first time u can get it right the 2nd time, hehe most u guys reply if it the end of the world, lol.. but no for me i've always thought long water was clean and u have a filter for the water, that was u needed to keep the first alive, lol but i guess not... no1 gonna be a pro when they start something new, LOL even if they all read up on the info, lol... heck u think all those pro share market books works or how be millionaire work? lol they dont!, so take it from me when i say, i've been in the share market for good 3yrs without loss... that reading up on info just dosent cut it without exp the failure, i spent 6 good bad mth in loss before i got the process down! and became successful at it...

a fish tank is the same, all trail and error! those who thinks otherwise is just been stupid... anyhow am i right to assume that the barra are slow is due to the tank condition and not there natural nature?

It ain't trial and error it's basic science, maybe if you listen to people with experience you won't lose fish, ******.

anyhow am i right to assume that the barra are slow is due to the tank condition and not there natural nature?

Barra are not an active species. As has been mentioned by other forum members they are an ambush predator. They do not like huge currents either- especially when small so if you have massive currents that will make them go to the area of the tank with the least water flow and hide. They also do not like bright lighting when small. They are bred and raised on low-lit aquaculture facilities where they are kept up to 20000 fish per 5000 tank (smaller stocking as they grow). On farms Barra will hang around the bottom until feeding time when they will smash the surface. Huge amounts of fish eating excites them like Pirhana behaviour. Water issues have been addressed - I wont go there other than to say a pH of 7.0 is too low for Barra. Another thing - are your "guppies" really guppies or are they Gambusia? Gambusia will nip the fins of the Barra - YES they will even nip the fins of a predator so if they are Gambusia that will be adding to the problems. (It is also a $200000 fine for having Gambusia in your possession). If they are Gambusia put them in the freezer. Do not re-release them into the wild. Good Luck.

interesting about the nature of barras...

guppies are from pet shop in mt gravatt so better be, lol

lol i havent lost any fish yet,

it isnt basic science :D come to share market trading and i'll tell you it basic business :)

the link was interesting and enlightening, but if i do need restart again if cant recover the current i'll follow that guide, until then =)

i'll look up the salt iodized later today

interesting about the nature of barras...

guppies are from pet shop in mt gravatt so better be, lol

lol i havent lost any fish yet,

it isnt basic science :D come to share market trading and i'll tell you it basic business :)

the link was interesting and enlightening, but if i do need restart again if cant recover the current i'll follow that guide, until then =)

i'll look up the salt iodized later today

The nitrogen cycle is basic science, it is taught in high school approximately year 10. 2 days isn't enough time for the ammonia spike. Be careful, you may still be yet to experience the mass death. If the fish are hardy enough they can survive it, but if they already aren't eating that's going to reduce their chances.

And people will get angry at you for your nonchalant attitude towards your fish dying; this is a forum for enthusiasts. You know, people who actually care about the wellbeing of their animals?

Geez man, I can't wait until you grow up and have kids, how many are you going to kill before you get it right?

If you were on the Gold Coast I would give you a matured very large sponge filter to put in your tank to help with the water quality until your main filter cycles. Plus you could squeeze the sponge filter out near the intake of your main filter to assist with cycling.

Anyone in Brisbane near Mount Gravatt able to help these poor fish out by helping their owner out in a similar fashion?

The nitrogen cycle is basic science, it is taught in high school approximately year 10. 2 days isn't enough time for the ammonia spike. Be careful, you may still be yet to experience the mass death. If the fish are hardy enough they can survive it, but if they already aren't eating that's going to reduce their chances.

And people will get angry at you for your nonchalant attitude towards your fish dying; this is a forum for enthusiasts. You know, people who actually care about the wellbeing of their animals?

Hardy fish may survive the ammonia spike if there is 1-2 fish in there where the ammonia is going to gradually gain... I think with 200 guppies that ammonia spike is coming any day now and it won't be pretty...

[MENTION=14774]mitc69[/MENTION] ... please follow the instructions given here, I am sure you did not join this forum to disregard what everyone is saying. Water changes need to be done constantly at the moment and to a beginner fish keeper that sounds like it is a pain in the backside and not worth it (and it will be a pain in the backside) but if you do this properly your fish MAY survive. Salt and cultured bacteria are going to do wonders at this point as suggested.

If you live near Redlands and can't find a a lfs to give you some cultured media than you can have some of mine... but only if your going to change your attitude towards fish keeping and the wellbeing of your pets cuz honestly mate that attitude aint gunna work here and nobody is going to help you.