Brodie-S/A-C

Can of worms

.So I've been doing some thinking(danger!!) about stingrays from South America and how recently they have became very popular. I myself do not own a ray but my limited understanding of them are Leo are the most expensive then Mantila and Motoro being the cheapest (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The question i would like to ask is, why are people cross breeding rays? If this continues would they just end up like cichlid's?, (not knowing if your fish is pure) Or does this not matter?

Many many more types of rays other than leo/mantila/motoro those are just the ones commonly available in AUS,

Throw that trusty 25% or 50% or 75% leo into your advert and you can expect to fetch a few more $$

Pure Leo's sell for around 8k male / 10k female - On a waiting list

Cross a mantila with a motoro and you can get some pretty decent patterns happening, good for display and also healthy for your bank balance just a couple extra $ again though,

Some people like pure bred dogs, others enjoy cross bred dogs, can't fault either party its just what you like ; )

People like pretty patterns.

Look at the variety of mobile phone cases on the market.

Just cant leave well enuf alone can they?!

If any one try's to sell f1 cross breeds they get hamstrung on this forum, why are rays exempt? [MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION]

We are very limited to what Rays we have here in au.

There are 4 possibly 5 sp here.

So some are just a given hybrid these days but yet can be so different.

I think it's fine with the hybridisation of Rays as it brings out certain traits in them.

But so long as buyers and sellers know what they have all will be good.

Sent via auspost

If any one try's to sell f1 cross breeds they get hamstrung on this forum, why are rays exempt? [MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION]

Same reason gourami, platy, swordtail, mollie, fighter, angel, danio and shrimp hybrids are tolerated.

They are pretty.

People get upset about cichlid hybrids, when they have one of the species involved at home.

Gotta protect ya species bloodlines.

Its almost a duty you are obligated to forfill on behalf of ya charges.

Hybrid Policy

4.1. The creation of new strains of flowerhorns and the such is a challenging art. QLDAF certainly recognises the skill and the dedication of this art. Prior to commencing anysuch program we recomend the plan is discussed with experienced aquarists whocan assist with such a process.

The sales of any species or hybrid of fish falsely represented is not allowed allowed

Iv seen a lot of f1 crosses for sale post locked in the cichlids trader, why not the rays is it because of the price tag?

Not having a dig just trying to see where this stands in relation to the above rules [MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION]

I have cross rays but dont appeal much to me. If i have a chance, i would prefer to have pure blood - anybody disposing of a superspot motoro male?

Note: im also not sure if my rays are pure. An id on mfk of my superspot suggest a falkneri gene on it - thats by a reputable member in the forum. For now im happy for it to be just a superspot motoro.

Edited by litigator666

Obviously I am not a ray guy, but the breeding and selling of crosses seems to be normal both here and overseas. I saw a cool documentary about a breeder in Asia, who had a shallow pond full of males and girls separate, and would then select his crosses based purely on pattern, no concern for species.

I am happy to be told we need to change policy on Rays, but think we got it right. The sale of a "hybrid" ray seems to always be identified clearly as a % as that seems to be the value, and hence the fish is not being falsely represented.

As for the hybrids and F1 cichlid sales...... we are against unplanned breeding and encourage people planning a hybrid breeding program to think hard and speak to some of our experienced flowerhorn breeders. Generally F1 cichlid spawns are not stable and are not a sensible fish to be distributed in the hobby. There is a big difference between someone planning a program to get to a stable point, and not releasing the fish to get to that point, and the sale of 'accidental' spawnings.