Grimreefer

Building a sump .. Is this right ?

You would be better served with the macropore bagged in under your egg create and where the macropore was put in bio media like K1 or the Boss Media we do and change the noodles with marinepure.

Next time you come down the hill drop in and see us and will show you the sump running - it is very similar and should be a good help.

really you need another divider in the middle or the it will not flow efficiently through all the media. For the water to flow as the arrows show it will need to physically go under a baffle. if not you will get dead spots and the water will just run over the top of the egg crate in the second chamber. feel free to pm me if that doesn't make sense

Does your tank your putting this in have any braces over the top? dont want to put something under them so you cant clean it later. Also Ive never though it a good idea to have hospital area in sump, if a beaten up fish gets whitespot (or whatever) it'll spread through rest of tank------not good. Also as your hospital area is just before heaters u'd be putting the fish in the coldest section of water in system.

Other thing i notice is the way u have stuff stacked in, filter mats under bio balls sounds like a headache too me (remeber if this is running a couple of years your gonna be cleaning it out a couple times), just my view but id run carbon pad at top (easist postion to wash out/replace) as it will be only one really needing cleaning, then just ur bio balls-ceramic ect.

Most of your filter socks are 200 micron ect, only some polishing pads will filter finer then that so no need for jap mat ect.

Not saying any of my views are correct though lol, Im building my first sump at moment, only haveing filter socks-polishing pad-K1-macropore, thats all.

The very last baffle should have a gap underneath to act as a bubble trap. Otherwise your pump will be sucking in bubbles which is noisy and can produce microbubbles all through your tank.

I would also T your return with one branch back to sump bio section. This will let you regulate flow back to tank economically. Also allows you to isolate filter if you ever need to medicate the tank.

keep it simple, you don't need every type of filter media, just a small stage of course/fine sponge to store particulates as they break down then just dedicate the rest to whatever bio media you like, they all work but my fav is k1 ;)

that is of course if this is freshwater?