Its not just a question of aggression.

There are lots of aggressive freshwater fish, particularly cichlids.

It is more a question of how effective that aggression is, in other words how much damage the fish does, or is it just all show.

In the heavyweight class, I nominate festae, dovii, mangrove jacks

In the middleweight class, I nominate auratus, lombardoi, johannii

Cheers, Doug

I've got a big 14 inch male red devil.. He has taken some nice chunks out of my arm.. Anything new I put in the tank he try's to destroy it.. Smashed one of those terracotta pots and is not liking his new one I put in a few days ago. But in saying that he does like to play. E.g lets me hold him and he swims around my hand nudging it, so I dunno. Let's just say he's bipolar haha.

The most aggressive fish available in Australia that goes into fresh water is a Targetfish - Terapon jarbua. These things will take on a Jack of comparable size and easily kill it. Have seen them tear the most aggressive American Cichlids to shreds. Nothing can match them for their size.

If your talking throw 2 in together and one be left, Murray cod will win. Largest Dovii recorded 56cm, Largest Mangrove Jack 82cm (saltwater however-fresh dont get as big), Largest Murray cod (depending on source) 142cm or 180cm. Murray cod will eat anything up to 3/4 of its size entering its area- or 110cm, and will attack larger. And it's native!

If your talking throw 2 in together and one be left, Murray cod will win. Largest Dovii recorded 56cm, Largest Mangrove Jack 82cm (saltwater however-fresh dont get as big), Largest Murray cod (depending on source) 142cm or 180cm. Murray cod will eat anything up to 3/4 of its size entering its area- or 110cm, and will attack larger. And it's native!

I'll agree with that.

I swear the mangrove jack at under water world is over a meter

Could be mate, I Know i'm not an expert lol. I've caught 60kg murray cod, Ive never seen a jack over 10.2kg in brackish, 16kg in saltwater. He was asking about freshwater though, and it's not normal for big jacks to be in rivers (they can become landlocked or are stocked, but not normal).