CelesteAmie

New tetras in my tank

Hi I recently started adding fish to my tank 3ft 140L and I thought to keep the water at good levels I will slowly add everything and work it up. So I added 5 small tetras (neon) they seem happy and healthy. And usually swim as a group. But there is one tetra that is often found swimming by itself. Not sure why this is or if he is sick? I've been keeping a close eye on it. But just wondering I'd this is normal and if im just overreacting or not?

So I added 5 small tetras (neon) they seem happy and healthy. And usually swim as a group. But there is one tetra that is often found swimming by itself. Not sure why this is or if he is sick? I've been keeping a close eye on it. But just wondering I'd this is normal and if im just overreacting or not?

Hi you are right to keep a close eye on it. It is quite common that in a school of Neons, 1 or 2 will go off and do their own thing. It can also be the sign of disease. So long as your fish are eating and are full colour - I wouldn't be too worried. If there were other fish in the tank that were a threat to them - chances are they'd "ball up" in a tight school. With no threats - it's not uncommon for them to go off on their own. Keep an eye on it - but so long as it is eating and is fully coloured and has no obvious signs of disease - don't worry.