Jani

Advise for marine sump building

.Hi Folks,

I would need some advice, help. I want to build a sump tank for a marine tank. I attached a picture about the imagined sump. Please give me positive and negative comments.

The details...

The fish tank is 91cm x 35cm x 45 cm (L-W-H).

The sump tank will be 60cm x 30cm x 30cm (L-W-H).

The heart of the filter will be an Aqua One Moray 2300 pump (2200L/Hr).

There will be an Aqua One Protein Skimmer G220, a Tunze 6015 (1800L/HR) wave maker and a heater too.

I would use sponge, bio balls and crushed coral as filter media.

What do you think about it?

Other question.

I want to drill one (or two if necessary) hole for the outlet water, but I'm not sure about the diameter of the outflow. What size bulkhead should I use? Which option would be better (drill a hole on the bottom side or the back side of the fish tank)? I don't know exactly which type of outflow is better or reliable? How can I sure that there won't be flood?

post-12072-14711632829036_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Jani

forget the filter sponge use a filter sock

as for layout work out the footprint of the skimmer and design the first section of the sump large enough to hold both the skimmer and the filter sock

given the small size of the sump i would just simply halve the tank and have it laid out like this first section - water inlet, filtersock, skimmer, heater. then have you could put some of those spheres petfish talks about in this section also or in the next. then in the second half just have your return pump and auto top up.

as for layout work out the footprint of the skimmer and design the first section of the sump large enough to hold both the skimmer and the filter sock

given the small size of the sump i would just simply halve the tank and have it laid out like this first section - water inlet, filtersock, skimmer, heater. then have you could put some of those spheres petfish talks about in this section also or in the next. then in the second half just have your return pump and auto top up.

That's pretty much the same layout as mine, expcept I don't have spheres, I have a fuge

forget the bio balls, use marinepure spheres, just 1 sphere does the same job as 1350 bioballs

Thank you PETFISH !

My questions are... Are the spheres floating or they sink to the bottom? Can I keep the crushed coral as well as filter media?

Thank you fishguy23 !

What exactly mean the auto top up? I don't know it.

post-12072-14711632829515_thumb.jpg

You meant like this one?

Does the pump need a half sump room? Or enough for it a smaller room too? How high should I put a dividers?

well because its salt water and you are using a sump any evaporation will only been seen in the last compartment of the sump. need to maintain the waterlevel here otherwise the salt content within the tank will increase with evaporation.

and yes sorta like your photo, although with the spheres and crushed coral, maybe just chuck them in a media bag like the techden sells. as long as they are in the water they will do the job. they dont need to have every bit of water pass through it.

May I suggest a bubble trap after the protein skimmer, especially if it's going to be a g220. Micro bubbles will find there way back up to the tank and will take away the quality of the main display. Other then that it looks like a great design

Thank you brodie7744 !

well because its salt water and you are using a sump any evaporation will only been seen in the last compartment of the sump. need to maintain the waterlevel here otherwise the salt content within the tank will increase with evaporation.

and yes sorta like your photo, although with the spheres and crushed coral, maybe just chuck them in a media bag like the techden sells. as long as they are in the water they will do the job. they dont need to have every bit of water pass through it.

Thanks! I watched it. Very smart...

Also can I ask about the diameter of the plumbing? What do you suggest me? How can I figure out the necessary pipe's diameter (inflow and outflow) and bulkhead's diameter?

your tank size 20mm down pipe would be more than sufficient if you run a syphon/durso arrangement.

id bump it up to 25mm if you're only using one pipe. but if you do choose to use only one pipe its likely to be noisy.

Like this one? Or do you have other one?

post-12072-14711632829815_thumb.jpg

If I use 2x 10-12mm pipe it will be efficient and less noisy? Or if I would use one pipe with the "syphon/durso arrangement", it would be less noisy too?

basically if you use two pipe one of them is setup as a full siphon, then the second is like one of the pictures you have posted they both work the same.

i cant link other forums on here but if you good silent aquarium overflows

full siphon durso standpipe you should get some good info to help

Thank you PETFISH !

My questions are... Are the spheres floating or they sink to the bottom? Can I keep the crushed coral as well as filter media?

yes the spheres sink, and i would use coral rubble not crushed coral, crushed coral is to fine and will become blocked to easy, click on our logo at the top of the page, we sell the marinepure spheres and coral rubble at The TechDen.