ado_84

carnivorous Barramundi

.thought id say a pic i took a couple weeks ago..

i had about 70 barra in a four foot growing them out a bit for my aquaponics.

seemed they liked eating each other..

a 5cm fish eating a 4.5cm fish.. quite surprising.

this happened multiple times.. but could never be sure if it was the same culprit

post-7490-14711632831279_thumb.jpg

Suprised you didnt know this as you in aquaponics, barra and cod will do this. So yes, they would be eating each other if they are 4.5cm to 5cm, spliting them up into size groups will help but wont stop all. they *******s to grow lol, usaully loose 25% to cannibalism, more if not sized into tanks.

If kept well fed they will not cannibilise each other at that size - only if they are hungry. They are kept with up to 10mm size difference at aquaculture facilities without issue. They are however well fed. Fish will choke unless they are able to spit the smaller fish out. You may have to remove it from the predators mouth if it happens again. I'd just recommend feeding them a suitable sized pellet, feeding an appropriate amount and more regular feedings. Feeding Barra is nothing like feeding Africans (quantity wise).

Edited by none

There is an aquaculture technique called 'sated feeding' which essentially is feeding fish until they can't move anymore. This accelerates growth rate as fish don't expend much energy, minimises growth rate/size differences and reduces predation.

Use a belt feeder for continous feeding. It is much harder in practice than it sounds but that's how your fish keeping skills improve.