well ive been shopping around for live rock and here are the prices i got. just wanted to know if any one knows where i can get it cheeper or if any one has any they would be willing to sell, trade, swap.

The Ultimate aquarium

$14.50kg (shit stuff)

$17.50kg (awsome looking rocks) 8O

Noah's aquarium

$15kg (didint have any at the time so i dont know what its like)

Bribie aquariums

$15kg (good quality)

$12.50kg (only if you buy more than 10kg)

Cheers lolux :twisted::evil:

Look in the trading post. There is a diver who advertises in the tp and he can get you some good live rock for under 10$ a kg (or so i was told) Talk to him first.

Also ask around the fish shops. If u make a special order u might be able to get it for 10$ a kg if u buy a massive quantity (20kg or more)

Also i got told..............

THe best way to get live rock is from the divers and you should use some really strong ammonia lock which abyss marine makes for themselves but will sell u some. So u can cycle the live rock without killing off the organisms that live on the rock. Look into that.

Hi lo Lux

Firstly, let me suggest trying Pete at 100% Reef Safe for live rock. His is the best I have found at around $10 per kg. He is based at Redcliffe. and will see you at night :lol:

Secondly, The idea behind cycling I believe is to create the bacteria that reduce amonia in your tank. Locking it up will only lead to problems down the track as things die on live rock all the time. It is called a Nitrogen cycle so not allowing this process could be flaut with danger down the road.

1 thing I have learnt in marines over the last time is nothing can be rushed if you wish to be successful.

Also the reason live rock needs to cycle is that during transportation all the live shit on the surface dies so when its put into water there is a massive spike in ammonia.

If you can eliminate this dying and "control" the level of ammonia when adding the live rock as to not kill anything while the tank is cycleing then it will greatly reduce the cycling time and increase the amount of good organisms that live on the rock in the wild.

Go down and talk to the guys at abyss or give em a ring and they will be able to explain it better.

p.s. sok. Everyone here is cool (well most) so there is always some1 who will answer your posts.

tannx for all your help guys i have found a diver in the trading post at alexandra hills and and he is able to get me all the live rock i need plus any fish , inverts , anemones, live sand ect..... and all at a great price. the salt water tank is now up and running i added a few lawn mower bleenys and a few hawkfish on sunday and all is going well so far i will post some pics up soon

Cheers Garon 8):D8)

Hi lo Lux

Firstly, let me suggest trying Pete at 100% Reef Safe for live rock. His is the best I have found at around $10 per kg. He is based at Redcliffe. and will see you at night :lol:

Secondly, The idea behind cycling I believe is to create the bacteria that reduce amonia in your tank. Locking it up will only lead to problems down the track as things die on live rock all the time. It is called a Nitrogen cycle so not allowing this process could be flaut with danger down the road.

1 thing I have learnt in marines over the last time is nothing can be rushed if you wish to be successful.

you are spot on Rusty oh and 100% reef safe has got some niceeeeeeeee live rock i got 40kg last week

jai

I've been warned off live rock by one of the local pet shops. What are the benefits and disadvantages of having it. Also if i were to add it, it would be to an already setup tank with fish already in. Would this cause any problems? Thanks for any replies in advance.

I've been warned off live rock by one of the local pet shops. What are the benefits and disadvantages of having it. Also if i were to add it, it would be to an already setup tank with fish already in. Would this cause any problems? Thanks for any replies in advance.

No ur not ment to add live rock while you have fish in ur tank unless the rock has fully cycled. Takes about 3 weeks or so.

By putting un cycled live rock in ur tank will coarse a massive ammonia spike which will kill all ur fish.

Advantages: It filters the water, provides small organisms with a place to live and food for herbivore fish. Allows u to have coral and make a reef.

Disadvantages. Cost is the main one. You need about 1kg per 10L then room as this takes up space. Lastly cycling time.

We have a second tank set up to be a hospital tank which has almost finished it's initial cycle. Could I then place live rock in there, let it cycle, and then shift it to my main tank. Also, is there any temperature requirements for live rock?

We have a second tank set up to be a hospital tank which has almost finished it's initial cycle. Could I then place live rock in there, let it cycle, and then shift it to my main tank. Also, is there any temperature requirements for live rock?

That should be fine. But it will take about 4 weeks to cycle and when it does i would only add 1 piece at a time.

Im no sure about the temp requirements for the live rock but i know the stuff that lives on the rock doesnt like temp variations so anything from 22 to about 26.5 (27 is starting to get into the danger zone) so whatever temp u can keep it steady.

p.s. Its going to smell like shit for those 4 weeks so put it somewhere in the house u dont go often.

Thanks for the info. The hospital tank is located in our main office area, so cycling it in there would now appear to be a bad idea. I'll chase up around some of the other stores in town to see if I can get some precycled live rock.

If I were to transport this in water to the office (a short distance), do you think that would work?

The easiest way to transfer it is to get some newspaper and soak it in the saltwater the rock is in the wrap it round the rock to keep it moist. THen u can transfer it short distances (30mins or so).

GL finding pre cycled live rock. It will be hard to come by. Try searching ebay. I saw 40kg odd it on there cycled and all go for $150 a while ago.

I dropped into a different LFS, and they have the live rock sitting ready in a tank. They said it should be fine to put straight into our display tank. They get it locally, and it sure doesn't stink out the store, so I'm guessing it should be ok.