as donny stated, most will take away SOME algae problems and clesr up the water to a degree. some people on the marine side of things have a theory that it helps prevent white spot. dunno if its true, and i dunno if the same principal applies to fresh water. they will probably have some affect on disease, if you run one that's fairly large.

I only have a small one on my sumped setup. When the bulb died I sure knew about it. Tanks got real ugly real quick. Not sure about disease prevention tho. Like the other guys said, I think a bit bigger one is required. May be coincidence but in a very heavily stocked system I have not had a loss to disease

I've never used one for fresh water cichlids and they seem fine. I've had a few die of whole in head, a chocolate cichlid but I heard they are real sensitive to water con. I just started an Oscar tank with tank mates ( pearl cichlid, severum and convict 4 by 2 by 2). I think down the track I'll think about adding extra filtration of a uv. It's all about new tech and expanding on the hobby, that's the fun of it right, (it's not all the water changes huh).