Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami - The "Billabong" Adventures

Today - Success!

Me and a giant fishhook have snagged the elusive kreepy-krawly head which fell off the pool

hose after I got annoyed and slightly too vigorous with making it bounce up & down.

The Billabong is now a solid GREEN colour, so finding it was a case of patience.

Actually finding the GPGs is just pot luck as well at the moment.

There I was sitting at the deep end of the pool (where everything ends up ... or down),

with my ten-foot wooden curtain rod, with a garden-plant-hanging hook taped to the end - fishing!

After much poking around in the green - found something! Bit slippery and buggered if I get the hook

hook onto anything, then hook-up - my it's heavy....

Oh cr*p, I've hooked the giant piece of pipe that everyone likes to hide in! A whoosh of fish knocked

my pole away, and gave me the hint to look elsewhere.

Finally, round the other side a bit was something else wobbly underwater - careful juggling and me

jumping in the pool ledge resulted in one K-K surfacing. Yay!!

Before it goes anywhere near the water again, it's getting a lifebuoy from Whitworths Marine!!!

post-5372-14711632840447_thumb.jpg

In other news, the solid GREEN colour just can't stay!

I want to see my fish, not just pretend that I'm "whale-watching" in my own backyard.

"whale-watching"?

Well, the GPGs after morning feeding spend the next 20 minutes gently floating to the surface,

gulping air, and then gracefully sliding into the depths, just to do it all over again 2-3 minutes later.

It's not a lack of oxygen, I think it's just their current feeding behaviour!

Anyway, an email has gone off to AOA enquiring about a 2nd Blagdon UV Clarifier that I can gang

up with the first to give me 72W of UV power to fight algae growth. When anything develops you'll

all be the next to know.

Cheers

Grover

(not using a cr*ppy little phone keyboard that nearly drove him insane)

Edited by Grover65k
lifebuoy added!

Lucky it's warm weather!

Got home today and thought "That looks a very short iris plant down near the deep end!"

Sure enough... somebody has manage to whack a 10kilo pot plant off the teracotta trough

into 5ft of water. AAArrgh...

In I go for a swim, can't reach it with my head above the water, so take a deep breath and

down to grab the pot, back up and land the pot back up on the pool ledge. ah...fun!

Then, around to the filter box on the other side of the pool to effect my first fishy rescue.

One of the tiny oscars (only 12cm long) is swimming circles in the filter box!! :bowl: :bowl:

I'd put a filter sock on the basket in the morning, so he wasn't going anywhere very fast.

Shooed him outta there, and now I have to find one of the flappy things that goes on the front inlet of the filter box.

As you may have figured out by now - it's a whole 'nuther world over here!

Then, around to the filter box on the other side of the pool to effect my first fishy rescue.

One of the tiny oscars (only 12cm long) is swimming circles in the filter box!! :bowl: :bowl:

I'd put a filter sock on the basket in the morning, so he wasn't going anywhere very fast.

Shooed him outta there, and now I have to find one of the flappy things that goes on the front inlet of the filter box.

How about fixing a piece of egg crate over the box

As you can see in the first post photo...

I'd set up the 15ft gazebo cover on the weekend, and sure enough we had a storm today

which blew one pole into the water. As it was attached to half a bessa block by rope, and

it blew that in, must have been a decent bit of wind!

I've now run around with rope and tied things down to the pool fence. No, I hadn't yet got

around to Bunnings to buy stainless steel Dynabolts! I've got to admit that going to work is

a pain - cause I need to fix stuff like this in the daylight before it happens, not in the dark

after it happens. :frusty:

Can't wait for the holidays so I can work in the light!!!

PS: I still do have giant fish in there somewhere!

Water is still bright GREEN (which reminds me...)

Note to AOA: any sign of accessories so I can gang-connect the Blagdon UVs yet??

Cheers,

Grover

(not yet eaten - thanx [MENTION=8538]blocka[/MENTION] - :amen:)

Nice boy, or girl

post-5372-14711632851997_thumb.jpg

Aaaahhh... rounded top fin, so I'm guessing female?

Wonder if I could beat the $ price down a bit! (at $10 per cm for a 50cm GPG)

Was last updated at the start of December - would make a great Christmas present for myself & the Billabong :clap2:

Edited by Grover65k

Another day, another trip to Bunnings for aquarium hardware...

This time "ducklings" were on the shopping list.

Remember the "Kreepy-Krawly" incident above? Well, the ducklings have come to the rescue.

Bunnings sell a bright yellow plastic chain, and a pack of 3 cute plastic ducklings. Drill a few

holes, add some stainless steel carabiners, tether duckling to chain with plastic cable zip ties.

Voila!

No more lost K-K!!

And while we were at it - fish out the giant pipes and repeat process.

In the photo below you can spot from left to right:

• the highly-endangered black-winged "dabbling duck"of the Falkland Islands,
  • the common wild duck (Anas platyrhynchos), in its standard yellow colouration, as well as
  • the rare "blue-headed mallard" from northern Saskatchewan.

post-5372-14711632855593_thumb.jpg

You can see Bunnngs has a duck for every occasion!

And here they are working hard in the GPG Billabong :help:

post-5372-14711632855732_thumb.jpg

With apologies to Jay at Chinchilla!

QLD Other Fish Trader / Classifieds

Hi [MENTION=7637]yellows[/MENTION]!

Sorry mate [MENTION=5372]Grover65k[/MENTION] has them all LOL no good luck finding 1

I haven't got all of the GPGs around Brissie! Honest!

And remember my solemn promise of a few months ago (Sep-2014)...

From Yoda's GPG sale thread...

As from tomorrow, Grover65k won't be buying GPGs in Brissie.

Legal bit for the legal eagles !

• I do reserve the right to buy replacement GPGs in case of loss
  • Starts tomorrow!

But, I'm sure it was [MENTION=916]litigator666[/MENTION] who gave me a few loopholes...

Psssttt... there's some GPGs down Nerang way that I'm going to look at tomorrow :peep:

Yes...

The acclimatization process...

Acclimatization (UK also acclimatisation; US also acclimation) is the process in which an individual organism adjusts to a gradual change in its environment (such as a change in temperature, humidity, photoperiod, or pH), allowing it to maintain performance across a range of environmental conditions.

happens very quickly when you accidentally drop the 150litre esky in the swimming pool :-//

As you can't see what's happening underneath in the green water yet,

thought I'd put up some more pictures of the surface inhabitants.

Another "rescue" from the filter box - still haven't got egg-crate mesh yet across the entrance have I ??

post-5372-14711632863675_thumb.jpg

Today's Bible verse: Isaiah 11:6

"The wolf will live with the lamb; the leopard will lie down with the young goat.

The calf and the lion will graze together, and a little child will lead them."

Hmmm... doesn't mention alligators and ducklings... oh well!

post-5372-1471163286383_thumb.jpg