rainbowrunner

Teewah creek rhads

.Caught some teewah creek rhads a few months ago with [MENTION=9288]buck[/MENTION], they were quite young so they went in the pond to grow and maybe breed next summer, put a couple in for display yesterday and Im quite impressed as they are not even full size or colour yet. One goes almost all orange at certain times

these pics are still shots from HDvideo

teewahrhad6gg_zpse4024a60.jpg

teewahrhad3nn_zps01ac2c4e.jpg

I was breeding the red morph, was up to the 2nd Generation, put em in one of my ponds and lost all but one to the extreme heat. Will need to get some more from Leo me thinks. Bummer.

your welcome to some of these when they breed, Ill see after new year how they go as I thought they might be too young, but by the looks of these two. . . .

teewahrhad11mty_zpsc084099a.jpg

Edited by rainbowrunner

I suspect that it was low oxygen that got them Grubby. While you have a setup that shouldn't result in that, I suspect that local conditions (perhaps an algae bloom??) may have just tipped it over the edge. I've had a similar instance with Rhads (Seary's Crk). One day good - next day, lots of dead bodies. Fortunately managed to retrieve some survivors. How to fix it - not sure as an airstone/aeration should work. Maybe put a sun-shade (shade cloth) over it (I've being doing that since the heat wave last year wiped out a lot of my PNGs outdoors...)

ah yes, the good old king fisher.

a friend of mine had a pond for one reason, the king fishers.

he use to stock it with feeder gudgeons just for the king fishers. theyll clean a pond out in a matter of days if the conditions are right for them.

nice rhads by the way rainbowrunner.

Ah - good point especially no bodies. Either way, a bit of shade cloth can't hurt. Let us know how it all goes.

Ta

Graeme

Well that bunnings bin is now empty of Fish, I will be throwing some Honeys in there now that it has 50 % shade cloth on 3/4 of it. For the remaining quarter I am going to put cable tie "spikes" around the rim similar principle to what people put on their skid lid to deter magpies, I figure it will put the birds off and will keep some light available for plant growth . If that doesn't work I might shoelace weave fishing wire across the surface of that remaining 1/4 through the holes that I will drill for cable ties. Just a theory at this stage, keep you posted.

Phil