Dazarmy

Advice needed on fixing a leaking tank

.Hi Everyone

I need some help with fixing my leaking tank.

I have a 6 foot tank, and a few weeks ago i got up in the morning and it had lost almost half of the water overnight. I emptied it completely, cut out the silicone and replaced with new silicone. I filled up the tank which seemed fine and held water for a few days. After a few days, the same thing happened. All of a sudden it was leaking again and lost half of the water overnight. I went through the same process again and refilled. Everything was fine for about 2 weeks and I thought it was all fixed, but woke up this morning to the same problem.

I think I am doing everything right, and it works for a while but will all of a sudden have a leak again and lose water quickly. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Can anyone help with some suggestions or tricks to make sure it works this time.

Thanks

Darren

Thanks for replying.

I have checked for cracks and can't see any. I cut out the silicone then scrape it all back to the glass with a flat razor blade. I clean all the corners with acetone and then do another clean with water. After completely dry I apply new silicone which is selley's for use with aquariums and then let cure for a week before refilling. I left for a few days to make sure it wasn't leaking, then emptied again in case the water is contaminated with any silicone residue, and then put everything back in and refill before putting any fish back in. I was sure I had resealed properly but must be doing something wrong?

I can't see where it is but is coming out from under the tank. The tank seems to be dry so not from the edges. The filters are under the cabinet but the water is coming out from above them. I have checked the filter hoses and air lines and none of them are wet or seem to be dripping. It's coming out pretty quickly from along the cabinet just under the tank.

Does the tank stop draining when you get below a certain level of water? Maybe there is a ridge in the stand or floor that is causing the glass to flex and it's causing a gap to form in the silicone over time. Do you have foam under the tank?

Have you resealed all of the edges of the tank?

Just trying to think out of the box.

It is very strange that you would lose the water so fast - 300l in one night and it just stays at that level. Normally use metho once all old silicone has been removed before re-sealing. It is very odd that re-sealing would work for 2 weeks then it drops by half in one night. What type of filters cannisters or sump? If sump have you checked your tank fittings?

Thanks. It seems to keep leaking when the water is lower too. I have 2 external canister filters, but it's leaking from above where the filters are. There is foam under the tank and I resealed all edges and corners last time so did the whole lot. It is strange that it holds fine for a couple of weeks but then loses water so quickly when it does leak. I'm stumped and all I can't think of what I could do differently to fix again. None of the sides are wet at all and all hoses and tubes from the tank are dry.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping that it wouldn't have to come to that. Sounds like a big job and it's something I haven't done before. Does anyone know what sort of glue I would use and how do I pull it apart and brace it together afterwards?