Aquatopiast

Looking for some advice

Hello

I'm planing on getting 5-6 discus for my planted tank but I've never had discus and after research I have a few questions. I have had the tank for over 1 year.

Inhabitants

8 rummynose tetras

10 lemon tetras

6 bristlenose catfish (trying to sell 3)

1 Amber tetra

1 diano

1 bronze corydoras

3 hatchetfish

3 clown loaches

1 royal whiptail catfish

2 german blue rams

My tank

AquaOne aquastyle 980t

Dimensions: 98cm x 47cm x 70cm (LxWxH) (8mm glass)

Capacity: 240 Litres

Filter Type: Biological Wet and Dry Filter Filter

Flow Rate: 1000L/hr

It has a Diy yeast and sugar co2 reactor

I do weekly 50% water changes with tank water and plan to keep it that way.

Water test results

Before water change:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

After water change:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 10ppm

Questions:

I'm planning on getting an external canister filter and putting some matrix in it to help with nitrates, is this necessary?

I want 5-6 assorted discus, will this be fine with the fish I already have?

I read it would be useful to have a quarantine tank incase the discus get sick, and to have them in for the first few weeks, is that necessary? I picked up a free tank on the side of the road, it's 150l approx and I think I'll set it up barebottom with a few air powered sponge filters and a heater.

Thanks heaps,

Aquatopiast

A pic of the tank:

post-11096-14711632844232_thumb.jpg

Hi Aquatopiast,

I took the plunge and purchased my discus about 12 months ago. I have about 9 discus in a 1800x600x600 heavily planted tank they are now between 90mm and 130mm in diameter. They were 50mm 12 months ago gee they grow quickly. There are only a few tetras in there as well and i find it difficult to control the algae with the full on CO2 system running at times. Be careful not to over feed I had a problem with nitrate levels so i installed an internal filter with Nitra-guard in it and the levels dropped to Zero after about 3 weeks and has stayed there ever since.

Buying them in numbers and introducing the all together definitely has advantages. As the don't seem to pick on each other as much. I think i have more of an over feeding issue.

Hi Squidman,

Thanks for the advice! It seems that I'm being to scared and just take the plunge, so I'll go ahead and buy 6. If any levels rise I will get another filter and if they get sick I will setup the quarintine tank. As for algae when I get an outbreak I just start dosing excel and it's gone in a few weeks. I'll be feeding them flakes, cichlid bio gold and I might get a discus frozen food mix.

Aquatopiast