ryang

Keeping fine gravel substrate clean - increasing flow help

Hi Guys,

New here, I was hoping for some advice on what people have had success with keeping substrate clean. I have an extremely fine gravel so cannot vacuum easily and find a fair bit of fish excrement is settling on the bottom.

i have looked into creating an under gravel jet system to eliminate dead spots and significantly increase flow, advice from local pet store was to just add an internal filter.

the tank is 250L 4foot with a cannister filter, I'm hoping to upgrade to a 660L in the coming months. If I go an internal filter what would be the highest lph flow rate I could push in the 250 without it being too much flow, yet strong enough for a 660L?

Thanks in advance

I have a total of about 15000L/h of flow in a 8x2x2 (about 840L) and it doesn't seem to be too much, if anything I will increase it.

I use sand as my substrate, the tank is not old and fish have only been in for 2 weeks so don't know about long term results regarding cleanliness.

I think in a 4ft it would wreak havoc!

So I would suggest maybe a single 6000lph internal pump/maver maker etc (not a filter) and add a second when you increase the system in size?

This would give you ~12000lph of internal circulation + the flow from your canister filter which should be sufficient for your proposed upgrade.

I have a total of about 15000L/h of flow in a 8x2x2 (about 840L) and it doesn't seem to be too much, if anything I will increase it.

I use sand as my substrate, the tank is not old and fish have only been in for 2 weeks so don't know about long term results regarding cleanliness.

I think in a 4ft it would wreak havoc!

So I would suggest maybe a single 6000lph internal pump/maver maker etc (not a filter) and add a second when you increase the system in size?

This would give you ~12000lph of internal circulation + the flow from your canister filter which should be sufficient for your proposed upgrade.

Yeh id agree with him there, at least 2000l/ph internal for 4ft to get stuff moving, depending on fish 6000 may be too high but most fish would be ok. Also undergravel one could cause problems if it is too fine as it may push gravel into cannister pickup. I use 1400lph internal in 2ft with sand to avoid vacuming so much, rest of mine are sumped.

Just getting some cheap powerheads will cause flow within the tank. somewhere in the tank you will find a "dead spot". This is where all of the gunk and stuff will collect. Everything in my tank collects in one area and then it is just a matter of using my eheim quickvac every couple of days to take the crap out of the system.

Just getting some cheap powerheads will cause flow within the tank. somewhere in the tank you will find a "dead spot". This is where all of the gunk and stuff will collect. Everything in my tank collects in one area and then it is just a matter of using my eheim quickvac every couple of days to take the crap out of the system.

I had thought of this but the vacuum sucks up all the fine gravel so it's quite a tedious task. I found a 6000lph wave maker for $20 so may give that a try first.

The pet shop was telling me a 1500lph internal was too powerful and to only use a 800lph, I thought this was a little soft ...

Most will have a dead spot unless you use a couple of them - the best one is a few bucks and will do a wonderful job and you could easily have it in both tanks - flow would not be an issue and you can dial it up and down for flow and no dead spots, would be the gyre

Kick the youtube to the 2.44 minute mark and see just how well it does. Not a cheapy, it is great unit.

Edited by The Tech Den

I had thought of this but the vacuum sucks up all the fine gravel so it's quite a tedious task. I found a 6000lph wave maker for $20 so may give that a try first.

The pet shop was telling me a 1500lph internal was too powerful and to only use a 800lph, I thought this was a little soft ...

I have fine sand and never had any issues :) it sometimes gets a few grains but really doesnt matter :)