Sign in to follow this  
rhonny

Cuckoo fry what am I looking for?

Cuckoo fry what am I looking for?

Have had a pair of cuckoos in with a colony of electric blue. Have been stripping at 4 days, this is the third mouthfull and have all looked normal until today, there seems to be two different size eggs and a few empty shells but can’t see anything swimming around . What exactly am I looking for, can I see them 8O:?:

I was advised to milk after 7 days, and this has worked well for me as the cuckoos have hatched by then & easier to care for, but also haven't been in there long enough to run out of food and start eating each other.

The Cuckoo eggs are tiny compared to the cichlid eggs at least 1/2 the size, and are a clear yellow colour. You can feed them newly hatched brine shrimp and the left over cichlid eggs.

I hope this helps and hopefully u have some cuckoo fry!!!!

Matt

Hi Rhonny,

As Matt said, fertilised cuckoo eggs are quite small and a clear yellowy colour. The cuckoo eggs will hatch around 48 hrs after spawning and at first will look like a pinhead with a tail. the eggshells you have seen after 4 days are most likely from cuckoo eggs which have hatched. They will live on their own little yolk sac for 3-4 days and gradually start to look like little catfish until the host fish eggs start hatching at day 6-7 after spawning, when they will start to feed on the newly hatched eggs of the host fish.

Cheers, Doug

Sign in to follow this