pepper16

Discoloured Peppermint Bristlenose

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. I bought some peppermint Bristlenose about 8 months ago 5 in total for my tank. Four of the Peppermints are jet black but one is permanently discoloured. They were all black when i bought them but one has progressively lost his colour! I have read that they become "washed out" when stressed but I don't believe this to be the issue as they all seem to get along great and with no fights. He feeds really well on a varied diet and looks healthy. Just after some advice as to why he is like this? Is he some type of hybrid or inbred? He has white lips white around his fins. He is almost grey!

Thanks Pepper.

post-14802-14711632848575_thumb.jpg

post-14802-14711632848713_thumb.jpg

post-14802-14711632848819_thumb.jpg

post-14802-14711632848924_thumb.jpg

hhmmmm interesting. i have a few that went similar but mine went almost completely white. i also have a few that look similar to yours and all seem to be going ok.

it could just be stress or just not the best coloured fish.

your water seems to look clear and healthy but looks can be deceptive.

im still trying to work it out my self, but i have a over crowding issue that im about to sort out.

my water probably isnt the best, but seems to be fine as i dont loose any fish but i am doing 50% water changes weekly just to combat the over crowding issue.

my angels are booming and my purple spot is healthy as. i even had swordtails and endlers in there breeding and thriving with no health issues.

got me stumped.

Hmm.. I only have one pep, and she is kept in a Blackwater tank on natural sand, and she is jet black with bright white spots. I definitely wouldn't breed from a specimen that isn't a credit to its species. I'd breed only from the best examples of the species. If it were me, that is. But I only have a girl coz I don't want her breeding

Bit of an update. I bought some more females and have 7 in total now. After adding all the girls he is jet black again and hasn't changed colour since. So by the looks of it he was stressed with not enough girls.

What a funny little guy! Well it's certainly good news :-)