Alasse

Stocking question

I have a 6x2x2 that is going to go out in my undercover BBQ area. The tank will be filtered but not heated.

I was looking at stocking it with goldfish, but been thinking I would love to plant it and add some natives (rainbows etc)

Is there anything that would be suitable for an outdoor unheated tank in Toowoomba?

I put a heater in mine over winter mainly for the PNG natives but also makes the fish look better and not stress as much when it is cold.

The tank will get colder than a creek or pond and quicker change in temp doesnt help the fish either

In short I would heat over winter and still do planted with natives

not sure where about now but I used to catch rainbows in some of the small creeks running through town so they are around. Havent tryed keeping the gar (after i get new shed built i'll be making custom tank and seeing if i can keep them) but u can catch them at the big dams round (cressbrook ect).

you can catch rainbows-gar-eeltail cats in the area, rainbows should go well if tank dosent get too cold in winter.

Gar are delicate - subject to transport shock and rarely do well even in the most elaborate setup. Empire Gudgeons and Douboulayi Rainbows will be fine so long as it doesn't get much below 14 degrees. I had both species thrive outdoors in winter in a small, extremely shallow (under 20cm) pond in western suburbs Bris. Another option is Spangled Perch if you like larger fish. All three are very hardy.

Edited by none

try catching fish from your local area. crimson spotted rainbows should be ok aswell as any other fish you catch (blue eyes, fly speckled hardyheads, gudgeons etc).

Anything surviving in your local waterways should be able to survive in your tank without a heater over winter.

You could also try some natives from down south, nsw,victoria etc.

the rapid temperature fluctuation is the issue more than the actual temp, a larger body of water like a creek will hold its temperature better.

if you have power to the tank I still would recommend a heater over winter, the fish and plants will look and do alot better and you wont have to worry as much about what you can and cant put in.

I use a 300watt and set it to 18 degrees and my tank was still getting down to about 14 on really cold nights

i had a 5x2x2 outside tank. my heater (300w) was set on 22 degrees and on the really cold mornings it reached 4 degrees. i still dont know how any peppermints or my pleco survived. i ended up putting a second heater in.