Likoma

Preventing bacterial infection with Melafix

Melafix is a great product in the prevention of bacterial infection. It will not kill bacteria, and is in my opinion only effective as a preventative. That said it is excellent and should be used anytime your fish have injured themselves or others.

Check out our video highlighting the realities around it. Watch it in HD Keep an eye out for the giants of Gotham.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Y2eciw_ktEw

Melafix is a great product in the prevention of bacterial infection. It will not kill bacteria, and is in my opinion only effective as a preventative. That said it is excellent and should be used anytime your fish have injured themselves or others.

Check out our video highlighting the realities around it. Watch it in HD Keep an eye out for the giants of Gotham.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Y2eciw_ktEw

Many people will disagree myself included. Used it once when it first came in and the rep gave me a free bottle. Used it in numerous tanks and lost fish in every tank it was used in. Wiped out entire colonies I had for years. Would never recommend it and told the rep as much. I was not the only one to have this issue.

I dislike the concept....ie preventing disease by killing bacteria....it kills all bacteria not just the bad ones

I prefer BioAid/ProBac by Aquasonic

Disease prevention by adding Harmless bacteria that out breed the bad ones reducing their capacity to cause a problem

You can't eliminate all bacteria in an aquarium, you just need to keep the bad ones under control...;)

Thanks for the correct link Donny, the Poret bizniz is going along swimmingly. Its way past the point of early adopters now. Not only is it the duck nuts when it comes to biological degradation in your aquarium. It`s sister product Poret Aqua is used in large scale wastewater treatment in moving bed systems for local councils and municipalities.

All interesting info.

I guess their will always be people that experience products differently.

I myself have had a bad experience with pimafix. Although I think that might have been due to user error combining a salt treatment, higher temperatures and Pima fix.

enon -At that time was salt being added to the aquariums with colonies to buffer them?

The information put forward by myself is always anecdotal. I have been using the Professional strength Melafix in our fish house for the past 2 years now with not a single death that can be logically attributed to it.

This is across a large population of fish and water. In fact when we visited Malawi in July we had house sitters looking after the fish house. Not a single noticeable death in the entire month period.

Part of their routine was that every third day the correct dosage of melafix was added to every tank. This was done in part to deal with various colonies of fish coming into maturity and scrapping it out. It seemed to work very well for us.

Rod, I cannot agree more. In fact I`m drinking a pro-biotic beer right now.

From my understanding Melafix acts as a bandage and doesn't really kill bacteria in the broader environment. Instead it makes it difficult for bacteria to take hold in sites of damage.

Did you like the giants of Gotham?

What does Melafix do?

Melafix is a treatment for external bacterial infections in fish, such as fin rot or open wounds.

Is Melafix safe with invertebrates such as snails and shrimps? Will it harm the biological filter? Will it harm plants?

Yes, Melafix is completely safe with invertebrates such as snails and shrimps. It will not harm the biological filter – the bacteria in the biological filter are quite different from those that are found on the fish. It will not harm plants.

Will Melafix work in both freshwater and marine (saltwater)?

Yes, Melafix will work in both freshwater and marine (saltwater). However, we recommend turning off protein skimmers and UV sterilisers when using it. If you have carbon in your filter, this should be removed before using Melafix.

I saw foaming in my aquarium when using Melafix. Is this normal? Is It harmful?

It is normal to see some foaming when using Melafix in the aquarium. This is not harmful.

Can I use Melafix and Pimafix together?

Yes, using Melafix and Pimafix together is perfectly safe and is in fact recommended if treating stubborn infections. When using both Melafix and Pimafix together, use each at the normal recommended dose – there is no need to reduce the dose if using both of them.

Can I use Melafix with any other API medications or products?

Melafix can be used with all other API medications and products.

Welcome to API Fishcare: Melafix®

Only drama I have ever encountered with Melafix is using it with Mangrove Jacks and Sarotoga.

They dont react well at all.

Other than that though, I have saved some really torn up "lost causes" using it.

I have used both PIMA and MELA PRO for a few years now, and since I have never had a death outside aggression and jumping. (Touch wood).

I buffer my water with salts/bicarb etc to replicate lake Malawi and keep the temp at approx 25°C +.

I throw the stuff in at the slightest hint of a nipped fin, and if something in the tank looks funky I will combine the treatment. Is the science sound?...I don't know. Are my fish alive?...yes.

when I've had the side of my fish chewed out,the only saviour II have found is melatite blue....also great for eggs...stains everything ,but glass clears after a while...

Methylene Blue is great stuff as long as you know how to use it and know it's limitations. Malachite Green is a chemical used as a catalyst to speed up the rate of effectiveness when using formalin. I'd say you've confused the names of the two.