smicko

first marine breeding

Hi all, just had to share my enthusiasm.

I have a pyjama cardinal holding a mouthful of eggs, the male holds the eggs which is a little different.

I wasn't expecting this to happen yet so I'm not prepared in any way but they should breed every 2-3 weeks from now and I will attempt to raise some fry in the future.

Does anyone have tips or ideas on the best way to raise them, also I'm thinking of doing salt greenwater to raise fry food so tips on setting it up would be appreciated.

Cheers mick

Yeah good stuff mate...good news is that when dads ready to spit they will be a decent size and should be right for some live brine..go the decapsulated if you can and avoid any shells or unhatched stuff...I wouldn't use the powder as they will be big enough to use their mouths more...get them in a seperate tank though because all the adults will eat them once released...treat them like banggai cardinals but I'm not sure if they hide amongst sea urchins the same way :noidea: so i think just some live rock to hang around..good water..good food..good luck mate and grab some pics if you can...if she bullies him while he's holding you might want to keep him in a seperate tank and I'm pretty sure he will hold for a few weeks so just being patient...google away mate should be tons of info for the banggai cardinals..and at least these guys will be much easier to feed when out and about..reckon they will be cute little dudes too :eyebrows:

:hail:

Edited by goldenswimmers

Thanks peeps, done some googling last night and found that the male spits after 7-8 days and the fry have a larval stage which means they need rotifers before brine shrimp.

I will be trying brine shrimp with this batch to see how they go, the male will be separated into a smaller tank after 7 days but I've been told he will spit as soon as he's caught in a net so trial and error.

Pics to come.

Cheers mick

Two cultures mate, green water-phyto and a separate one of rotifers!

You fertilise the green along with long term lighting and put some green regularly into the rotifers, no bio system for each.

I like a square and tall tube of glass with a fluoro against it for 20 hour cycle with the height for the green.

Its basically a 6 to 8 inch across square tank/column by 2 foot high and an air stone in each, scoop the green water and replace as a water change with new water and then add fertiliser.

Scoop for the rotifers as you need it, but do not contaminate the green with any rotifers or you will have to start again.

Scoop the rotifers regularly for your cardinals with the same water change system and its all good.

Temps 18c to 28c, sit them in your sump, the temp control is easier.

Careful of any sudden temperature changes. Dont risk the pair bond for a single mouthful.

Rotifers are harder to breed in constant large numbers when everything depends on you doing so XD

You can remove the egg ball, its kinda like a b/n egg cluster, and then hatch it in a seperate tank.

You can feed frozen rotifer and then powdered spectrum pellet, although survival % is not as great.

You can feed them 24 hours a day to speed up their growth to a tougher size AKA leave the lights on!

Always remember, the lesson I learnt.

PJ cardinal fry do not sell for very much.

So dont blow the bank on these hoping for a return!

Best way to make cash would be to sell the pair on MASA.

Thanks for the tips. Looks like a couple more salt tanks are called for and I don't care about making anything from them i will be counting it as another success of aquariums if i can keep a decent number alive.

Cheers mick

Well said Mate!

Hope it all goes well for you.

Male got hungry and spat the eggs, 5 days not bad for a first attempt and it gives me some time to setup for them next time.

New question, where do I get a starter culture of rotifers or do they just come in nsw?

I am thinking of trying ocean nutrition instant baby brine shrimp and some 400 micron fry food.

Cheers mick

I have bred them before, and think you will find the male holds for a lot longer 23 to 28 days. You can raise them straight of baby brine, and skip the rots, they are quite developed when spat out. I found the hardest thing was weaning of the brine shrimp to other foods. They will take rotifers and if you need some I could send you a starter pack of rots and green water, with one catch. I am going on holidays for two weeks soon and would like to get some sent back to me no money involved. It is a lot to ask someone to look after so it would be easier for me, see how you feel about it cheers Mark.