louis.kirtellis

Hello!!! I need some help here :D

Hello everyone well few days ago got a 3ft tank and I need a good advice about freshwater fish which is cheaper to start with it

What should I do before buy i fish for my tank and what is the preparation? e16ef8765667fd05fa07024856020678.jpg

I have already placed sand an Aqua One 103F Maxi

And also there is a wood in the tank with some rocks

I have ordered a wave maker and some rocks for the air pump also I got a LED light for the tank

Kind regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a good idea to just check what type of water you are going to be using?

If you test the water you are starting with can make your job a lot easier.

Pick the task of picking fish first you will more than likely then have to treat water and be a lot more difficult.

Find out what the pH Kh and Gh is of your water and see what fish suit that water and so long as you like the types of fish can make your job a lot easier.

You can always adjust your water but lets just see what the building blocks you have to start with.

Thanks for your reply

Well I'm thinking for freshwater as I said above.

Is the any group of freshwater fish that I can get like not only one kind like 3-4 different but a bit easy to start with and to adjust the water for them ? I'm not thinking for Goldfish as I had when I was a child .

Is there any aquarium shops around Brisbane? I know there is some in Gold Coast but any around CBD ?

I was just mentioning the pH Kh and Gh for fresh water. If you had a higher Ph Gh and Kh - Cichlids would be good and if it was lower tropicals and if it was very low some softwater freshwater fish.

Should be pretty easy getting Goldfish around Brisbane - some shops are closed over the holiday period. There are some good breeders on here too.

Look up yellow pages under aquarium and fish shops to get the details of who is around your locality. Visit a shop and look at their tanks. Ask questions about suitability for your 3 foot tank. Tropicals will need very good filtration (a small canister or a large internal filter) plus a double sponge air pump driven type (the sponges will house and breed the beneficial bacteria necessary for your aquarium to successfully survive and function). You will need a heater for your winter months possibly 150 watts. An airstone. An air pump with at least twin outlets (Aqua One make you beaut models that have a hi-lo switch). API make a good range of aquarium support products such as ammonia and pH test kits. API affordable and reliable. Get some Seachem products such as 'Stability" which is bacteria for your tank. And visit The Tech Den in person or online to obtain their "Supchlor" which will dechlorinate tap water, chelate unwanted heavy metals and remove ammonia.

After visiting aquarium shops and learning about coldwater and tropical choices and their needs - then go and begin your tank and give it time to mature and develop the required bacteria that will eat up ammonia, ammonium, and nitrate. Learn about the necessary 20-25% water changes depending on how many fish you have in your tank.

Remember the more fish and the more feeding the more ammonia...

And learn about aquarium plants and your lighting - you can't go wrong with Wisteria.

there are many informative and educative websites around that will answer many questions for you - one of the better ones is - Information on Setting Up Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Fish Tanks, Fish Bowls, Aquariums, Aquarium Filters, Aquarium Heaters, Choosing Fish, Aquarium Information The First Tank Guide On the Web Since 1994 [u.S.]

Hagen who make many fish care and aquarium products also has an informative 84 page pdf on aquarium care and maintenance.

here's another easy to read and step by step intro - Proper Aquarium Cleaning and Aquarium Maintenance Guide

Goodluck and best wishes on restarting your hobby - a good planted tank is a real achievement to be pleased with.

hey mate first thing i would do would be to fill your tank and get your filter running.

the number one thing i feel people dont understand is the nitrogen cycle and new tank cycling.

post-6570-14711632882494_thumb.gif

essentially your fish make waste which is toxic to them and bacteria live in your filter that break down these wastes into less harmful waste which then can be reduced by performing water changes.

it takes around a month for a tank to cycle so thats why i suggest the first thing you do is get your tank running. if theres nothing alive in your tank you can use strait tap water if you haven't brought dechlorinator yet as there no fish or beneficial bacteria for the chlorine to kill. chlorine will naturally disappear in around 24 hours, or as fast as half that with good aeration. you can then speed up the cycling process if you wish by purchasing beneficial bacteria products or introducing filter media or gravel from an established tank, if you have a mate with a tank you can wring out a filter pad in your tank, it will make a mess to start with but will speed up your cycling.

once you get your tank started it would be good to know a bit about your water, you may be lucky enough that your local aquarium shop can test water for you to give you an initial idea, or you can purchase a test kit which would be handy in the long run.

as for fish check out a fish shop to get an idea for what you like, avoid anything to big ie. oscars or something. you can even check out livefish.com.au to get an idea of common fish available in australia and if they are likely affordable for you or something your not likely to spend your money on for your first tank. this is just to give you some ideas, i personally prefer viewing fish that im buying.

im sure if your post your water parameters on here when you find out and different fish that have taken your fancy there will be plenty of people here to offers you more advice.

cheers

mick

Hello again - here is some more good basic introductory know how :

CYCLING A NEW TANK

Author: Yeo-Hoon Bae

Last Updated: Nov 19, 2009

Read this articles before adding any new fishes into your tank!

Aqadvisor.com - Cycling a new tank

Oh, alas if only I had read material like this before I bought my comets and threw them into a new tank of tap water!!!

CYCLING USING LIVE FISH (from the aforementioned web page article)

"As you know by now, in order to kickstart the cycling process, the tank needs ammonia. Live fishes will produce ammonia hence you can begin your cycling process using live fishes. Add only few fishes into your tank. For a 20g tank, don't add more than 3 small fishes.

Pros:

You get to buy fishes immediately.

Cons:

Your fishes will suffer!

Lots and lots of daily water changes! If you have added more fishes, even more water changes! Fun! Fun! Not...

You must choose species that are hardy. Weaker species will die easily under these less than ideal conditions.

Poisoning by ammonia and nitrite are the most common reasons why beginners end up killing their fishes when they start a new tank. Without frequent water changes to keep those nasty chemical levels down, you will either kill those fishes or at best, worsen their long term health. You will need to make sure your ammonia and nitrite levels stay low (lower than 1ppm, lower the better). The only way to lower it is to perform water changes. Do not add products to detoxify these chemicals.

Recommeneded species to add at the beginning:

Platy

Molly

Zebra Danio

Cherry Barbs

These are all hardy species that are more likely to survive through your cycling process. There are other species that may work as well.

Once the cycling process has been completed using this method, add few new fishes each week. Don't add 10 fishes at once! Let bacteria catch up to new bioload levels first."

Edited by Waggles

This is very good - exciting isn't it - I bet you just can't wait to go and get those fish... patience is a virtue and will bring its many rewards!!!

Don't forget to catch up on your homework : Aqadvisor.com - Cycling a new tank

Live fish are more economical than dead ones...

Edited by Waggles
becauze i cant spell

An update to this post

The tank looks good

But there is something that worries me

The wood that I have inside the tank start growing something 8ffc2deeac92811b1e2b9c989d959247.jpg

It's just wood fungus, its fine and will go away In a month or so it happens to most new pieces of driftwood

I'm sorry to be a buzz kill, but it's been less than 2 weeks since you set the tank up.

Unless you got some used filter media from some one to jump start your tank, the tank won't be cycled. Putting fish in an uncycled or still cycling tank is not recommended. This can put fish through undue stress, the fish might suffer ammonia burn, and worst case scenario is that the fish die during the cycling process.

There can be a lot to learn when you first start keeping fish. A lot of the posts above covered the cycling process, attempted to explain that there is different types of fresh water, and not all fresh water fish may be suited to your tap water. Some like cold water ,some like warm water. Some like soft water and some like hard water. A lot of fish keeping is about choosing fish suitable to your tap water, and fish that are suitable to be kept together.

You have been given a lot of products in the photo above and a lot of them are not necessary with the fish you are keeping.

As I said, there can be a lot to learn when you first start keeping fish, and it can feel like information over load, and a lot of conflicting information sometimes. My advice would be to slow down and do a bit of research and reading. I know this is not something a lot of people like to do, especially when they think fish keeping should be easy (it is, once you have a handle of the basics).

Best of luck and enjoy the hobby.