I just read on a website that clown loaches can grow to be 16 inches. Don't know if this is true I was thinking more like 12 inches... Has anyone ever owned or seen a clown loach reach that size?

Also wanting to know if any other loaches reach that size? I'm looking for a display type ground dweller for my tank which has peacock bass and giant gourami. I have a neosilirus ater in there at the moment as well but may decide to sell him some time soon.

I would go down the path of getting lost numbers however I don't trust them with rays.

If only rtc didn't grow ridiculously big :P

Have 26 clown loaches, biggest is only 25-28cm but i do feed them up and provide frequent water changes which helps the slow growing fish grow just that little bit quicker lol

With my own eyes best i've personally seen was a good 45cm, that's the goal with my crew!

Yer I reckon a school of them would look rad in a predator type tank to add a bit of colour to the bottom.

Any other catfish people would recommend?

Thanks for your help guys

Wow i have just individually gone through every single loach listed on that website. Never knew how much variety existed amongst loaches! Discovered that clown loaches arent infact the largest and it is instead the royal clown loach. Such a cool looking fish... Now where can i find them/ are they in australia? :)

Leptobotia elongata — Loaches Online

It also helped me find what i believe was the loach annerly aquarium were selling a little while ago that i thought were pretty cool. The polka dot loach (botia kubotai). Can anyone confirm if this is the right loach? One of the nicest i have seen irl.

Before the Indonesian government banned the export of large clown loaches (to protect their broodstock and natural populations) I used to import large loaches. Only two fish would fit per fishbox which made shipping pretty expensive and average sizes would be 45-60cm. They are extremely lazy fish though and just lay on their side motionless for so long, that an occasional prod every few days was required to confirm they hadn't died.

I have a group in an outdoor pool around 45cm. The are most productive spawners around 30cm though. I visited one asian fish farm that produced over a million clown loaches per month.

clownloach_zps7d7c8ad4.jpg

Before the Indonesian government banned the export of large clown loaches (to protect their broodstock and natural populations) I used to import large loaches. Only two fish would fit per fishbox which made shipping pretty expensive and average sizes would be 45-60cm. They are extremely lazy fish though and just lay on their side motionless for so long, that an occasional prod every few days was required to confirm they hadn't died.

I have a group in an outdoor pool around 45cm. The are most productive spawners around 30cm though. I visited one asian fish farm that produced over a million clown loaches per month.

clownloach_zps7d7c8ad4.jpg

Holy crap look at that thing! Amazing mate

Not a loach but may also suit my needs. A bloke on petlink is selling a "bumblebee catfish" which is 20-25cm. After doing a bit of reading, I can't find anywhere that say they grow this big. Are the websites wrong or is it not technically a bumblee catfish?

Look like one, but a bit steep on price

Yer I'm sure I could find it cheaper... And that particular one doesn't look to healthy either with all of its fins split... But great to know they can reach that size, so why do all the websites sport differently?