A quick Culling poll.....

Culling is  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Culling is

• Crucial for breeding quality fish
    • a good idea if your fish are not good quality
    • not neccessary, my fish are fine
    • not neccessary, there are other ways to ensure quality
    • something I just cannot do to my babies.

In general I agree with culling of weak, deformed or otherwise unhealthy fish. However I disagree with culling fish for having the colour of their fins not to their keepers taste. At the end of the day we should choose the best coloured fish to breed as it happens in nature too but I do not think a healthy fish should be culled for weaker colour given that you don't use him as a breeder.

Each to their own. It is crucial for breeding quality fish and if you are a reputable seller this is how you keep your clients coming back. On the other side of the spectrum there is the argument that the fish should still be given a chance to live and just not bred. Depends on your situation.

... Some people choose not to eat meat

Culling is necessary for deformed or unhealthy fish, you only risk illness in the rest otherwise. But I don't believe killing outright for lack of colour/markings etc, is the way to go, I say feed the circle of life, and put them in with some barra. :behindsofa:

If I had a couple of nice quality looking fish that threw a bad strain, is anyone going to put there hands up and take them (no matter the QTY) off my hands F.O.C with guarantee to never breed them and reduce quality for the hobby?

If good quality cost $10 and average cost $5, the majority will buy the average. Average cross with average generally won't produce quality. Therefore, keeping the average (then possibly selling them accidentally to someone with intentions of breeding) will only cause a decline in quality.

Cull anything but the best IMO.

I agree with some need to be either culled or put in a mutant tank ( my mums tank or turtle food ), but what gives me the ****s is people sending fish interstate ( other wise , site unseen) that aren't even what there supposed to be, you'd think that they would get the best ( at least what there supposed to be anyway) to keep them coming back.

Problem being most fish/shrimp have large spawns and in the aquaria you have a high survival rate .In nature this rate would be much smaller and only the strong would survive and breed.Just because you can breed and raise 1000 fry does note mean you should.If you raise and sell everything you breed in large numbers the quality will reduce quite quick as others will breed and sell and so on and so on .With the quality getting worse with each generation.This has happened to many of our American cichlids as well as red and yellow cherry shrimp as the larger and quicker the spawning cycle the quicker the deteriation of quality.Once poor quality is sold its then breed and so on and so on.Also a lot people breed not for quality but for money and the larger the spawn the more you make to hell with the quality I wont get rich.News flash people you don't get rich in this hobby but you can do ok.Have seen many a hobiest come into the hobby with the idea of hitting it rich to leave as quickly as they came.Now only a few that have stayed breeding for 20 or so years and none of them are rich but have great quality fish.

My opinion: I'll only cull a fish of mine if it needs doing, if I don't have another fish that would have it for a meal.

I agree that it is essential to remove fish from breeding colonies that aren't good enough, but more often than not, those individuals go well in a community or display tank. To produce consistent and quality fish, the opposite sexes of the fish need to be sourced from different blood lines (unless I reckon for F1's or F2's), and keeping them happy and well fed helps as well.

There are a lot of fish around these days showing a lot of signs of inbreeding, with deformed spines, or jaws, and I'm afraid they are only good for Jaguar cichlid (or other such voracious eater) food.

Andrew

- Fishtraderlau

in Blackwater...

There is in my opinion certainly a need to be willing to cull, however, sometimes the cause of deformities is worth pursuing as it may be one of the parents, or the water, or the feeding routines. There is a lot of things it can be.

To help identify which of these I have found it useful to talk to members here, folks at auctions, and the folks at the fish clubs.

Culling is a necessity if you're breeding fish, the softer ppl who can't cull should then not breed or have 1000+ tanks to keep their poor quality fish out of circulation. Doesn't matter if you sell as "display" fish, buyers WILL breed with them & on sell more crap fish, then we have no nice quality fish left in Aus.

No more imports, no more new blood to refresh inbred species, all of a sudden we've got bland looking grey/brown fish with bent spines, messed up fins, balloon bodies...unless, we the breeders are responsible with what we sell. Non cullers just research what convicts used to look like in the 80s-early 90s or try to find a perfect Ellioti in Aus. You want that to happen to all international fish in Australia?

I cull in the same way that nature would, don't fit in, become food. Bad or misshapen bars, colours or patterns, you standout & become a target in nature so therefore become food, not a breeder. Deformed fins or body, definitely food. BTW noob breeders out there: IF YOU'RE GETTING MORE THAN A COUPLE DEFORMITIES PER BROOD, GET SOME NEW BLOOD, IF THEY'RE GROWING INTO DEFORMITY, CLEAN TANKS & GET NITRATES BELOW 40ppm (just a point I've never seen brought up before & seemed to fit with this rant, I know not possible with all sp.).

Look, killing fish you've bred sucks no matter which way you look at it but it is necessary to keep the hobby going. You're not doing anything that Mother Nature wouldn't do herself & if you don't have a large hungry finned friend then find someone close who does & feed your culls to them.

My mates' ray almost jumping out of his tank when he sees me with a bucket certainly takes the edge off culling my fry :)

Edited by BigPete86