african-cichlids

Cycling nano marine tank (80l)

Iv had the live rock in the tank for 3days now and I'm reading .5 - 1 ammonia. I'm not completely new I just always doubt myself and need second opinions so I realise ammonia levels in the cycling stage is part of it but should I be reading around 2ammonia or it varies. I should mention that it was an established tank before I took it over (ex display tank LFS) but was shut down. All the other water parameters are spot on Iv just been told that ammonia in salt should be around 2 before it drops to nitrites, true or false. Oh and I'm using api test

False, it can be higher or lower. API as an indicator only. API will rarely give a precise reading.

If you raise your PH via chems your ammonia will skyrocket, low PH ammonium with slight traces of ammonia, higher PH mostly ammonia.

Edited by liquidg

Yer I think il just let it go lol. Just one last question I'm not loosing any water to evaporation iv checked the levels every day it's now been 4days it's been set up. No changes in water chemistry either apart from ammonia obviously as if I was loosing water cause of evaporation the specific gravity, alkalinity and calcium etc would increase. I guess it's a bonus

Yeh to a degree you can wait or you could provide for a greater and rewarding bacterium and subsequently a more stable reef environment.

You don’t usually get much evap when there is a lot of humidity and or the temps in room and tank are similar, the excited molecules are more inclined to remain where they are rather then rise out.

When your bacterium gets into it well and truly, you may get a cal rise due to the nitrobacteria species of bacteria doing it’s bit. But in time if that happens it all stabilises any way.

With ammonia it starts getting there in the late 70sph or there abouts and increases with higher PH, but try to keep it where it is and its all good.