grubby

Malaysian Trumpet snails, benefit or a curse ?

What are your feelings on Malaysian Trumpet Snails ?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feelings on Malaysian Trumpet Snails ?

• Yes I love em.
    • No, nuke em at all costs. Leave no survivors
    • Unsure.

they are a pest but they are easy enough to kill. its the ramshorn snails that give me more trouble

Ok how do I kill em off. I have tried removing them, but I have read that they secrete a pheromone when there are too many of them, which inhibits breeding. Ironically by removing the adults all you are doing is removing the pheromone that stops em breeding and you are back to square one. I don't want to use copper as it is in a tank with soft water and it will kill everything else. The only thing I can think off is remove all fish and plants and give it a good dose of pool chlorine, but that seems extreme.

I have them in all my tanks....;)

Much better scavenger than any fish (I'm a non believer with the concept of fish as scavengers)

Their waste is a very good substrate for infusoria....great first fish food

They won't eat eggs or fry...just uneaten food

I've found ....They don't last long with Central Americans(cryptoheros).....so that's where extras go

;)

Ok how do I kill em off. I have tried removing them, but I have read that they secrete a pheromone when there are too many of them, which inhibits breeding. Ironically by removing the adults all you are doing is removing the pheromone that stops em breeding and you are back to square one. I don't want to use copper as it is in a tank with soft water and it will kill everything else. The only thing I can think off is remove all fish and plants and give it a good dose of pool chlorine, but that seems extreme.

If used copper, or a complete tare down and remove the substrate and put in the sun for a few days.

i just continued to dose my snail infested breeding rack with "no planaria" and it has got rid of them. still have not gone through the packet i originally bought. i am not convinced its a 100% elimination as i get the occasional one but compared to the millions i had, it has worked a treat for me and i am happy as can be. i used a fair bit at the start every few days but now i only chuck in a little bit every now and again to take care of any little ones that may pop up.

Flubendazole based medications will kill them, it is a treatment for intestinal worms, there is only one brand that I know of available in Aust. Even if you treat them and kill them successfully they will keep coming back from eggs and deep in the substrate etc, so you will need a few treatments. Just don’t make a mistake and use Fenbendazole which is another type of wormer, that drug has a very narrow therapeutic range and low range for lethality in fish. Both drugs are from the similar family of medication Flubendazole is designed to be used in water and of course fish. Fenbendazole is designed for mammals and needs to be ingested to work and is totally insoluble in water and poorly adsorbed...besides it doesn’t kill snails.

Copper if effective but has problems, so its best used in a tack with no substrate or fish. Or go all natural and use a few loaches

Hope that helps

Flubendazole based medications will kill them, it is a treatment for intestinal worms, there is only one brand that I know of available in Aust. Even if you treat them and kill them successfully they will keep coming back from eggs and deep in the substrate etc, so you will need a few treatments. Just don’t make a mistake and use Fenbendazole which is another type of wormer, that drug has a very narrow therapeutic range and low range for lethality in fish. Both drugs are from the similar family of medication Flubendazole is designed to be used in water and of course fish. Fenbendazole is designed for mammals and needs to be ingested to work and is totally insoluble in water and poorly adsorbed...besides it doesn’t kill snails.

Copper if effective but has problems, so its best used in a tack with no substrate or fish. Or go all natural and use a few loaches

Hope that helps

MTS are livebearers though, in theory it should wipe em all out. So where do I get No Planaria ?

I have them in all my tanks....;)

Much better scavenger than any fish (I'm a non believer with the concept of fish as scavengers)

Their waste is a very good substrate for infusoria....great first fish food

They won't eat eggs or fry...just uneaten food

I've found ....They don't last long with Central Americans(cryptoheros).....so that's where extras go

;)

Rod they have overrun one of my Septo tanks. Would a Sajica or a Spillirum be a better snail buster ? Because I have them in spades in a number of tanks, including a Septo tank.

Hey PHIL

My Convict, spilurus,septo's, multispinosa and sajica have lots of empty shells in their tanks

Septo's should sort them out?....perhaps yours are too well feed!

Your Septo's aren't hungry and snails have plenty to feed on.....my fish have learnt to deal with my regular

Business trips ;)

Hey PHIL

My Convict, spilurus,septo's, multispinosa and sajica have lots of empty shells in their tanks

Septo's should sort them out?....perhaps yours are too well feed!

Your Septo's aren't hungry and snails have plenty to feed on.....my fish have learnt to deal with my regular

Business trips ;)

They get feed once a week if they are lucky, two cubes of blood worms and they have to share that with six prisitellas and some cucumber for the BNs.

I love the little guys. Stopped trying to kill them ages ago now they seem to be in most of my systems... I don't think they are great but I do notice they clean the glass a little and a bit of scrap food....also very good tank mates for rtc they coexist with zero issues so I just leave them :) when I did try to kill them from other tanks I found clown loaches are the best.

I think if they have been in your system for a long time you have little chance... My sumps have been moved and left with hardly any water for a month once setup and running I get snails and shrimps back again from my sumps.... Never tried chemicals though.