Tezza78

New to breading Betta

Hi im new to breading betta and would like to give it a good try.

I have read up quite a bit of information regarding the whole process but am struggling to find some recommended tank sizes

what size would be good for the spawning tank

and grow out tank sizing.

any help would be appriciated

I use 1 foot cubes for breeding, but many breeders use 2x1's.

As I say to anyone interested in breeding bettas, breeding is the "easy" part. It's the daily water changes, feeding 3 times a day (minimum), and the jarring off males and their care that is the arduous part.

I use the $30 tanks from Kmart to spawn my bettas in. I then move them to a 2.5 ft tank to grow them out until jarring size.

A couple of things to remember before attempting to breed your bettas -

1. Make sure you have all the live foods you need to feed the fry once they are free swimming. Better to be ready than running around in a panic looking for microworm cultures after your fry hatch. Bare minimum, I would suggest getting your hands on some microworms for the first week, then switching to freshly hatched BBS (Baby Brine Shrimp.)

2. Make sure your breeding pair are well conditioned (fed plenty of live/frozen foods twice a day for a couple of weeks at least) before introducing them into a spawn tank. The fry produced will be stronger and you will have larger spawns.