Cactus

Where to get reliable biotope information??

Sometimes it feels like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations. Maybe.

But why, oh why, can't I type Rio Ucayali or Orinoco Basin into a search engine and have a lovely list of all the fishies who live there?? With pictures, and info on parameters etc???

Why can't the Internet be magical??

It makes me muddled and gives me a headache. Is there at least an obscenely expensive book I can get my hands on that will give me Reliable information of this kind?

Instead try typing rio ucayali stream biotope and orinoco river basin fish, heaps of info out there.

There is a lot of info, but it's fragmented and not necessarily reliable. I want magic, Heintz. MAGIC! 😉

Now I'm curious, what sort of biotype are you looking to set up?

I'm looking at a blackwater biotope- sand, leaf litter, submerged branches, no plants. I just don't know which of my fish belong together in a natural biotope. I know they can all exist healthily and happily in the same environment, but I'm becoming increasingly interested in authentic biotopes. So much to learn though!

What is an authentic bio - type? If you read books or online sources, these are very different from what you see when you actually visit or collect. Lots of introduced species and man made structures with associated pollution nowadays. Australia, SE Asia, America's are all the same. Local people think your crazy to snorkel in filthy ditches and streams.