I used solarguard black exterior paint. Make sure u get matte and not gloss... The glass makes it look glossy anyhow.

Takes 3-4 coats to get it to a completely solid black. No flaking issues for me yet

How longs it been on your tanks?

Cheers

I've got a 6x2x2.5 that I spray painted with matt black over 10 years ago and no flaking or problems. There's a scratch there from moving the tank a while back but I'm sure I could touch that up if I really wanted.

Hi Adrian,

I use this stuf it primes and colors at the same time, i do a light coat then a final coat 10 mins later on my tank and it comes up smick, i got this from another lad who has been using it for years. It's $10.95 a tin at bunnings at booval.

post-11967-14711632946286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Obeice

I use the cheapo bunnings spray paint, I think it's about $3 a can. Both matte and gloss look the same from inside the tank once it's full of water. Matte looks better from the outside if that's a worry (IMO). I think the tank I've had the longest painted is going on 3 years, still no flaking.

thanks for all the input. i spoke to a couple paint trade centres and was told just to use a good exterior paint as nothing is designed for glass..

so thats what i done.

you can get proper glass paints, try hobby shops. its designed just for glass... for an aquarium no clue how well it works / long it lasts but its not non existent! they are normally sold in very small amounts.

I used rustoleum as suggested by a few people here, cant complain went on great, looks great, I used 1 can for 2x 4ft x 75cm tanks was quite impressed.

There's a product called ESP, easy surface prep get it off the shelf at Bunnings, makes paint stick to glass and just about anything else, very easy to use.

If it's paint on paint use penetrol if going spray can use esp, both made by same company I think. I used esp on my 4x4 alloys then matte black killrust been going strong for the last 12 months no flaking peeling and seems to resist scratching well too, it's good stuff.

What does it do?

Penetrol creeps into the most minute crevices and pinholes of any surface where ordinary paint cannot enter. There it dries to a tough yet flexible finish, forming a powerful bonding film for the next coat of paint. Stable and durable, it compensates for the adverse effects that weather and surface conditions have on paint. Used alone as a primer/sealer or added to oil/alkyd based paint, varnishes and stains or metal and wood primers it enhances their inherent qualities and makes them stick to almost anything - EVEN GLASS. Brush and lap marks are eliminated. Premature peeling, cracking and chalking are a thing of the past. No more uneven paint film - a major cause of early breakdown of surface coatings. And unlike thinners, Penetrol does not evaporate and actually makes more paint. By ensuring greater coverage from each litre of paint it saves money.

FJ

Heh I put penetrol in a spray bottle and coated the chassis of my 4x4 inside and out with it, excellent rust inhibitor, also use it on plastics like snorkel, mirrors etc gives them the glossy armourall look but lasts 10x longer, love the stuff

Yeah penetrol is amazing stuff, I used it when I painted my parents battens under the house. I was using a compressor and I hardly used any paint at all thanks to that stuff. Oh and for backing tanks I quite like using black Contact. On my breeders though I use spray paint and then cover the 3 non viewing sides with reflective foil for better insulation.