Sign in to follow this  
Lippa

API GH/KH tests

Hi kids

just did a test on my tang tank it it took around 25 drops for the colour to change on both tests.

this seem normal?

ph is at 8.2

cheers

Bryan

Have you tried testing the tapwater?

Kit might be out or something.

Worth trying the test out again anyway, despite it being one of the more annoying freshwater tests.

You start to understand why lfs prefer to use a paper dip for KH GH customer tests!

Drop test is usually much better tho.

You may also find that you have been double dosing.

The KH generator will raise KH.

The riftlake mix will raise KH and GH.

If it is a true reading, a water change should fix (without adding more kh or rift)

Worth double checking the test before you go waterchanging out your suppliments!

I use the Aquasonic Rift Lake Conditioner; 3/4 scoop per 12L bucket, & the Aquasonic Carbonate Hardness Generator; full scoop per 12L bucket, to maintain GH 14-15 & KH 16-17 for my Tangs, low end lake parameters to both keep my fish happy & not use too much buffer/$$. I also have fairly low mineral content in my water down here, GH 3-4 KH 3-4. Being in QLD you should have higher mineral content in tap water so need lower doses, so...

How much do you add?

Do you replace only what has been removed by water change? Basically asking do you dose for whole tank volume at water change time?

If the above are not the cause then possibly a big jump in mineral content of your tap water. Had a busted water main nearby or council flushing pipes? Perhaps they've added more things due to recent rain? I try not to do water changes during rainy times due to my tap water chemistry changing unpredictably a couple times...

im just been using the kh generator to raise the PH when its at 8.2-4 i stop

The rift lake conditioner, well yeah ive been adding that at the full tank rate. oops

Thanks for the advice, its really appreciated.

ill give it a water change tomorrow and check values again.

cheers

Bryan

Sign in to follow this