The Tech Den

International Conference - Ad Konings - Juan Miguel - Spencer Jack.

We are proud sponsors for the upcoming event of the International Conference Presented by Queensland Cichlid Group 14/03/2015

We are also accepting payments for the event (cash) $130 for QCG Members and $150 for non members.

Should be a excellent event so get in and get yourself down for the event.

Here is some more details...

20150113_115541%5B1%5D.jpg

I have heard a rumour, that the Melbourne event is only $40 per person. I'd just like to know why such a disparity in cost?

Apologies if my information is incorrect.

As far as I know it would be cost of event divided by the amount expected to show up, equals cost -

And keep in mind it is flying 3 experts to Australia, Venue Hire, Shirt, Baggy, Morning Tea, Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Evening Meal, Tea, Coffee, Prizes.

Well worth it - do not know how much Melbourne is or what you get or what the comparison is between the two but personally am not keen to fly to Melbourne.

I guess it just comes down to do you really want to pay $130 or $150 for the event and I am sure that so many will.

For a guy that's never been to anything like this before, what can I expect to see and hear. Obviously Ill learn something, but why else should I go?.....

Will try and get a run down on what the speakers are covering and get back to you - just can not call the person I need to speak to today - sorry. I know what I would be expecting but will check and see.

[MENTION=1378]Fishjunkie[/MENTION] - Dave do you have any info?

Edited by The Tech Den

Will try and get a run down on what the speakers are covering and get back to you - just can not call the person I need to speak to today - sorry. I know what I would be expecting but will check and see.

@Fishjunkie - Dave do you have any info?

Basically what @pk333 said they are experts in there own fields and will be speaking on those topics

If time permits there will be a Q&A after each talk

FJ

Edited by Fish Junkie

Thanks Mr Beer, you've twisted my arm... I'm coming

@The Tech Den John... How do I get a ticket from you?

Just pop into the store with the money in your hot little hand and we are happy to accept it on behalf of QCG and you will be issued with a receipt for the payment and we have the forms to just fill in that include your shirt size.

I would also think this will also be available at some of the other places that are also sponsors for the event but will allow this to be confirmed by QCG.

[MENTION=4276]the German[/MENTION] [MENTION=1584]Fish Junkie[/MENTION] - can you confirm if purchasing entry for the event the locations and also will it be possible at the upcoming auction?

Melbourne gig is $55 for non members of their local aquarium society (EDAS) and only has of the two international speakers plus one local guest speaker. Add flights and accommodation to that is no comparison on our local gig for cost$. I think they have sold out or looking to offer another round of tickets.

Juan is a great speaker with a vast knowledge of the South Americas, not just cichlids. Ad you already know. Spencer came out for VC40 few years back.

Hth, Ian

That is still only 1 third of the price…

so your down 1 speaker, as a non member wold expect to pay $100 you would think….

How come Melbourne is so much cheaper?

Not wingeing, simply asking. as a cheaper price would make it more accessible to many more people giving your group even more exposure to non members...

And yes before I get bashed around the ears, I do realise how much time effort the members of the QCG go to to organise all this and get these bloke here.

Simple asking the question.

Juan Miguel Artigas Azas author's page - The Cichlid Room Companion

Juan Miguel Artigas Azas is an aquarist in San Luis Potosí, Mexico (the very center of it). He has loved fish since he can remember and has kept them steadily in home aquariums for over 30 years now. His main interest are Central American Cichlids and Mexican fishes, but he is also very interested in any other type of fish.

Juan Miguel is the creator and editor of the Cichlid Room Companion. His love for computers and nature, together with the revolutionary development of Internet was too much for him to let the opportunity to create this page pass along. He has found that the maintenance of a real good home page is a life time enterprise, and he is ready to cope to that.

Juan Miguel enjoys travelling to the natural habitats of the fish he loves, where he obtains underwater pictures of them. He likes to observe them, trying to understand their natural history and relationships. He has managed to obtain a great knowledge on the biology and geographical distribution of the fishes in Mexico. This gives to his conferences an originality and special interest.

Juan Miguel has written many articles on Mexican and Central American Freshwater fish, mainly on cichlids, for several club and aquarium publications. He has also been honored with the invitation as lecturer in fish oriented conventions in several countries, including Mexico, United States, Belgium, Canada, England, Netherlands, Norway, France, Italy Sweden and Germany. Juan Miguel is part of the American Cichlid Association - Marineland speakers program.

Juan Miguel has been awarded the Guy Jordan Retrospective Award 2008 by the American Cichlid Association. The maximum honor this association gives to people who has done extensive contributions to the International Cichlid Hobby.

The lectures that Juan Miguel currently presents include:

Cichlids from Costa Rica; In this talk the species, habitats and distribution of all Costa Rican cichlids is discussed, as well as observations on behavior in the natural habitat, the talk is illustrated with maps and hundreds of habitat and underwater pictures of Costa Rican cichlids and other fishes that inhabit with them. (Approximate Duration: 90 minutes)

Herichthys, the northern cichlids; In this talk the species, distribution, behavior, habitats of the Northeastern Máxico cichlids are discussed and illustrated with maps and hundreds of habitat and underwater pictures of Herichthys and other fishes that inhabit with them. Aquarist guides for the successful keeping and breeding of these beauties are also given. (Approximate Duration: 90 minutes).

Central American Rheophilus Cichlids; In this talk the species, distribution, behavior and habitats of the Central American cichlids that inhabit in river currents are discussed and illustrated with maps and hundreds of habitat and underwater pictures of the species treated and other fishes that inhabit with them. Aquarist guides for the successful keeping and breeding of these beauties are also given. (Approximate Duration: 90 minutes).

Thorichthys, jewels of the Mayan land: In this talk the species, distribution, habitats and behavior of this fabulous group of central American cichlids is discussed and illustrated with maps and hundreds of habitat and underwater pictures of Thorichthys and other fishes that inhabit with them. Aquarist guides for the successful keeping of these beauties are also given. (Approximate Duration: 90 minutes).

Goodeids; The forty species of this group of livebearer Cyprinodotinds mostly endemic from Mexico are covered, with notes on the family. Aquarium guides for the successful keeping and breeding of all the species in captivity are given. The talk is illustrated with maps, habitat and pictures of all the species, some of them taken underwater in their natural habitat. The status of all the species in the wild is discussed. (Approximate Duration: 90 minutes)

Introduction to Live-bearers from Mexico; Mexico is a land of live-bearers, in this talk the several groups inhabiting the country are discussed, with notes on their distribution, habitat and the several species living with them. The talk is illustrated with maps, habitat and many species pictures, most of them taken underwater in habitat. (Approximate Duration: 90 minutes).