Craigo

Aulonocara Koningsi Mbenji

Evening all. I’m looking for a bit of discussion regarding this lovely looking peacock.

I recently purchased a bunch of F1 fry from an awesome dude named Dan off here.

Now I have been growing them out, separating boys as they color up. My first and most dominant boy was/is solid iridescent blue! Like Aulonocara Stuartgranti ‘Cobue’

The next boy, the one I plan to breed with depending on final colouring, has a super yellow belly through to the tail, and his blue is developing every day. All other males developed the blue first before any sign of yellow.

The final 2 look just like textbook versions of this fish.

I will get pics when I can, but my fish room is dark, glass is water marked and I am no photographer.

I’m looking for other people’s experience with this fish and also if anybody has come across color variation from wild caught fish, I am in no way doubting the father fishes origins. Just sharing my findings.

Edited by Craigo

there was a breeder last year that sold their koningsi mbenji island colony.... i bought their fry not long after they sold them.

previously i had purchased a wild caught colony... the 2 didn't match up! i have a feeling that the colony getting around in Queensland had a hybrid thrown in the mix at some stage.

I know for a fact these were wild cghts. And the young fish all look proper, different shades of yellow. I’ve been breeding peacocks long enough to spot hybrid fish, let lone full-grown fish. And I did view the parents

This thread was not for hybrid talk Sorry, or to doubt the breeder. it was to discuss fry colouring variation

Edited by Craigo

The answer to your question all depends on the genetic make up of the breeding pairs. So you may well end up with a mix.

This would be my thoughts, my fry are from multiple females but the same male all bought WC. The male holds the yellow but maybe something in one of the females genetics holds more blue? I might raise single batches next time to determine which is carrying the gene.

If you look well enough on the net, (try YouTube) you will see both mbenji with solid blues, and blue and yellow.