Do you have pictures of the parents - are the parents related....

This is a great looking convict female. Also want to see some pictures of the boys.

Parents were as far unrelated as I can be sure of. Big old boy was my uncle's fish, came from down south as fry/juvie (Sydney/Newcastle area I think) got left behind with a few others when he moved. Mother was much smaller/younger, my cousin's fish, paired with an average lookin male I'd guess from same brood, came from 100% Pets in Tweed 4-5yrs ago. I took the average male out, added the big old boy & these are the product.

They were above average looking, the father had a decent green/blue hue to the body. The mum had good colouring (as much as I'd seen in any convict in person at that point) but not the intense brightness to the orange nor as much colour in fins as the fry.

Only got 1 brood from them & kept bout 50 odd fry to grow out. Parents are now in my uncle's pond in Bundy breeding feeders for his turtles...

I'll try for more pics of the boys. They never stay still, hoon around as much as my Tropheus! These are the pick of literally 200+ shots.

For reference they're just under el-cheapo T5 tubes that should have been replaced long ago. Not ideal light to photo, especially on iPhone 4 camera lmao

I'll take a better light downstairs when I have another go. :)

Nice, I have a Female Convict, that used to look like that, for some reason now that she is older she has become very ordinary. But the daughter she produced when she crossed with my male Sajica is amazing. I reckon she could pass for a Honduran Red Point.:eyebrows:

Nice, I have a Female Convict, that used to look like that, for some reason now that she is older she has become very ordinary. But the daughter she produced when she crossed with my male Sajica is amazing. I reckon she could pass for a Honduran Red Point.:eyebrows:

Nice Grub, can we see a pic of her? Meant to ask last time I saw you mention her months ago :)

To all who may want to comment negatively on Grubby's hybrid just realise he is a responsible hobbyist, been mentioned before that she's display only!

Thought I'd get in first just in case it starts somethin >x<

http://rs1189.pbsrc.com/albums/z436/piraterides2020/20141011_225510.jpg~320x480?t=1421388630

This is my pair from a few months ago. Just moved house and set up a 5 foot to them selves. The male was smaller then the pretty girl but he's bigger now and her colours are beautiful. Plain old convicts but take me back to being a kid getting into this hobby./life.yep $20 pair my mate found down the coast but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Nice Grub, can we see a pic of her? Meant to ask last time I saw you mention her months ago :)

To all who may want to comment negatively on Grubby's hybrid just realise he is a responsible hobbyist, been mentioned before that she's display only!

Thought I'd get in first just in case it starts somethin >x<

Here you go Pete. This is her as a youngster.

post-3726-14711632973897_thumb.jpg

post-3726-14711632973733_thumb.jpg

https://gregthecrazyfishguy.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/convict-cichlid-marble-genes/

For those interested in Calico,marble,piebald convicts

Thats one of the best links of all time.

What a legend.

If your friend got a marble fry out of a black x pink cross, that is very unusual. This is the sort of genetic “hiccough” that causes these variants to begin with. They don’t happen very often, but can be saved and used to preserve the trait, if desired.