pk333

My first Discus.

These are my first Discus, blue turqs. They are currently in a Q tank while my set up is being completed the cycled.

I hatch live BBS to feed my young bettas. The left over waste water I tip in to 4 litre ice-cream buckets and leave on the back stairs. After a couple of days, the water starts growing algae, which the BBS that I didn't collect feed and grow on.

Over the course of a week I'll tip 3 lots of BBS waste water in to one ice-cream bucket.

After a couple of weeks the BBS have grown to adult size and begin to mate. This is when I harvest them, in the hopes that some of the females will have fresh eggs attached to them.

Today, I fed my Discus some live adult brine shrimp, many were still mating at the time, which made it easier for the camera to pick up the little shrimp as they were fleeing the hungry Discus.

Click the photo to watch the video.

th_DSCN1635_zpsnuolgvcu.mp4

OK new video with the school expanded to 11 youngsters now.

They are all from the same Discus farm in Malaysia, Na discus. They variety is called Giant Florals, essentially a Blue turq strain. They're young, most between 7cm - 9cm, with two a little smaller. So they're a long way from showing their full colours. I took this video using zoom, while they were feeding, so they look a bit bigger than what they truly are. My hope is to get two pairs from the group.

th_DSCN1645_zpsfw0syhyv.mp4

th_DSCN1645_zpsfw0syhyv.mp4

This afternoons photos.

Still in quarantine, but they're slowly colouring up. They're little pigs, and it's interesting to watch them sorting out pecking order. The two largest just chill, and don't get involved, the smallest is left alone, but the other eight constantly have small squabbles and face offs.

DSCN1646_zpsw3qnxmdz.jpg

DSCN1647_zps0zc50cs9.jpg

DSCN1648_zpszeqhrbb9.jpg

DSCN1649_zps8fjelq50.jpg