JayPee

Who runs a nexus

Just wondering who out there runs a nexus in their fish room.

how do you run your pumps and pipes.

I have watched a few you tube videos of them but it doesn't really show the full set up.

Also you do you run any extra mechanical filtration.

Would be very interested in seeing how you have hooked them up.

No. But lookin at what's around on the net I don't see how they can do a better job than a well designed sump..

Love to be shown otherwise.. have considered one myself.

I'm currently building a 6x4x2 sump and if one could do better I'd buy one...

Iv done few talks just recently at qcg meeting on how I did mine and videos , to much info to post up here , but a nexus will run laps around any sump setup you can think of and cleans in 5 min . No ammonia spikes ever or nitrate spikes. Any one setting up more than 5 tanks and not buying a nexus is mad .

I just finished setting up my brothers place display 2x 8ft tanks on a eazy pod nexus . He has so meany fish in the tanks that 4 fx5 would not keep 1 of these clean . And it's crystal clear and he feeds hand fulls of food twice a day .

Sorry guys, I don't allow visitors to my fishroom or post photos of my fishroom.

But I do use and swear by nexus filters, I have a 300 in my fishroom.

You can find info about how a nexus works and how to setup a nexus on the manufacturers UK website :

Koi Pond Filters | Buy Nexus Eazy 200/300 | Evolution Aqua Ltd

Or you can ask Mark at Smiths Aquarium nicely and he might show you how he has them setup to run his shop. I made a few visits there to look at how he has them setup before purchasing and setting up mine 7 years ago. I have mine setup in a similar way to how Mark has done it.

As to how good Nexus filters are, how many of you have visited Smith's Aquarium and marvelled at the high stocking levels of healthy fish in the tanks along the back and side walls?

Cheers, Doug

Depending on where you place the nexus, it can be gravity fed or need to be pump fed.

Since it is a fluid bed filter, it will handle large bio loads and respond to sudden bio load or power outage recoveries faster than wet/dry or static media. However all fluid bed filters do this, whether they be floating beds or submerged beds. The nexus 310 also has a static K1 section used for mechanical filtration. You flood this chamber and flush to clean. It's a nice proven design with convenience and a price tag. While it's definitely a good filter, I've made my own version with 2 barrels. One with floating fluid media and the other with static media for mechanical. Same basic concept, similar efficiencies, not as pretty but all for under $100 with media. (I use HDPE beads instead of K1).

As good as the nexus is, there are still inefficiencies.

Sorry guys, I don't allow visitors to my fishroom or post photos of my fishroom.

But I do use and swear by nexus filters, I have a 300 in my fishroom.

You can find info about how a nexus works and how to setup a nexus on the manufacturers UK website :

Koi Pond Filters | Buy Nexus Eazy 200/300 | Evolution Aqua Ltd

Or you can ask Mark at Smiths Aquarium nicely and he might show you how he has them setup to run his shop. I made a few visits there to look at how he has them setup before purchasing and setting up mine 7 years ago. I have mine setup in a similar way to how Mark has done it.

As to how good Nexus filters are, how many of you have visited Smith's Aquarium and marvelled at the high stocking levels of healthy fish in the tanks along the back and side walls?

Cheers, Doug

I've been lucky enough to have Andrew show me the nexus setup at smith's and all I can say is damn it's amazing hehe

I read this as "I have 300 of them in my fishroom" and I was thinking WTF must be a warehouse!

I wish :)

No, I only have one of the 300 model nexus filters in my fishroom.

It is designed to handle a 30,000 litre koi pond, so my modest African system is no challenge for it :)

As far as off the shelf all-in-one solutions they are the bees knees, but for the price you can do better if you are willing to put a little effort into it. I guess it really depends if you are a tinkerer, or would prefer plug and play.

Great to see so many replies so far.

So their static media section is really good for catching solids.

I love how good k1 is I have a 4-2-2 moving bed filter at the start of my sump and I have never had a problem with it no keeping up to the amount of waste my fish put out.

I have made a twin barrel setup for my pond before but I like the ease of plug in and away ya go.

So if I was to gravity feed from the tank to the nexus would I require a tank or tub for flow back catchment in power outage.

What is the advantage of hdpe beads over k1.

I remember see the pic of the filter you had set up winston looked great.

I'm just throwing ideas around at the moment.

Because if I was to up grade my tank I will be looking into one.

I believe one great advantage of the static media section in the Nexus filters is that it traps solid waste before it gets to the moving bed section and is broken down into nitrates by the bacteria there.

By backwashing this static section regularly (I backwash mine twice a week), in theory you reduce the amount of potential nitrates in your system considerably.

If this is true, you would be better off having a static K1 bed designed to be easily flushed at the start of your sump rather than a moving bed? This however would probably be harder to incorporate in a homemade sump.

Cheers, Doug

Following this thread... Absolutely fascinating!! Did not know theses existed or that there was filtration better than a sump. I am building a shed at the moment with a 6m x4m fishroom.... Could one of these service the whole room.... Americans?

Following this thread... Absolutely fascinating!! Did not know theses existed or that there was filtration better than a sump. I am building a shed at the moment with a 6m x4m fishroom.... Could one of these service the whole room.... Americans?

Hands down ,run a nexus !! Be better than any sump

its better off having a static K1 bed designed to be easily flushed at the start of your sump rather than a moving bed. This "compacted K1 prefilter section" would trap all the debris. Leaving the later fluidised parts to dominate the water column and consume chemical conversion. Really you only need to fluidise the media to clean it. The trick is in how you flow water through it.

Cheers, Doug

I agree with so much of that, that its spooky.

Actually the nexus is part fluidized bed, part bio film filtration as it uses K1 media. These are subtle but different concepts.

I've seen one in action and understand why this store has such god water quality. They also runa UV, that I generally object to until it was pointed out that with stock movements, it is essential to ensure no disease.

I am interested to hear more about the differences you mention [MENTION=470]aquaholic99[/MENTION]..... I would have though it was a fluidised bed?

Hi people just wondering the difference between a nexus easy pod and the nexus 200-300. Does the easy pod only have a static bed were the 200-300 has a static bed followed by a moving bed. If so does that make the easy pod inferior as the moving bed has the useful bacteria were the static bed just traps waste. Would love a answer. Thanks. Mark

Hi people just learnt that easy pod is static only so just wondering how this would still be better than a sump as basically it is a drum with non moving K1. I am not trying to put this unit down at all as am interested in purchasing but from my understanding if k1 is not tumbling it is not doing a good job colonising itself with young bacteria. I understand it is static to trap fish poo but would that mean not much bacteria would be growing in the system as the k1 is not tumbling but instead trapping debris. Thanks again. Mark. Ps just want to understand more prior to possable purchase

Hi Donny I was typing this as you posted